About the Company
Civis Analytics helps businesses use data to gain a competitive advantage in how they identify, attract, and engage loyal customers and employees. With a powerful combination of best-in-class proprietary data, cutting-edge software solutions, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis works with Fortune 500 companies and the country’s largest nonprofits to make data-driven decision-making essential to how the world’s best companies do business.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
About the Role
The Applied Data Science (ADS) Team is the advisory arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with governments, companies, nonprofits, and campaigns to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. They are critical components of the project team and are expected to take leadership in understanding how to design and implement data science solutions for each client’s unique situation. This position will be part of the Applied Data Science Public Sector team.
To respond to our recent growth in supporting state and local government clients, we are establishing a small Applied Data Science Team in Houston, Texas that will support our current clients in the City of Houston Housing and Community Development Department (HCDD), as well as work with our local partners and other team members to scope solutions to new problems for clients. This role reports to an Applied Data Science Lead in Washington, DC, who would travel frequently to the Houston Area. We envision that the Senior Applied Data Scientist role would include some (up to monthly) travel to either our Chicago or Washington, DC offices, as well as some local travel to other clients or potential clients within the State of Texas.
As a Senior Applied Data Scientist, you will structure hard problems, analyze large data sets, build predictive models, collaborate in cross-functional teams, create client materials, and ensure on-time progress and delivery of our projects. You will also work hand in hand with our Applied Data Science Lead and Director of Public Sector Analytics to develop relationships, partnerships, and proposals for work throughout the Texas market.
Civis Analytics has opportunities for applicants who are seasoned professionals, brilliant newcomers, and anywhere in between. We are looking for detail-oriented individuals from diverse backgrounds with demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving skills. We value creativity, hard work and on-the-job-excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
- Work with colleagues to structure complex client problems to be solved using imperfect data
- Enhance, finds patterns in, and builds predictive models on large data sets
- Work with other Applied Data Scientists, as well as other departments within Civis to derive clear, actionable, and timely insights from analyses
- Work with the Applied Data Science Lead to create presentations that are client-ready, clear, and error-free
- Work with the Applied Data Science Lead to develop business opportunities throughout the Texas public sector market
- Work with the Applied Data Science Lead to develop relationships with potential partner firms and the data science community in Houston and surrounding areas
- Work with the Applied Data Science lead on developing proposals and pitches for new work in the Texas public sector market
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (political science, statistics, math, economics, physics, etc) or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years of related work experience
- Proven affinity for and experience with working with large data sets
- Proven affinity for and experience with SQL, R, and/or Python
- Experience with machine learning techniques
- Experience working with presentation software, such as Tableau and MS PowerPoint
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in teams
- Demonstrated ability to complete work on time
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- MA in analytical subject
- Experience leading projects
- Proven affinity for and experience mentoring teammates
- Experience with geospatial analysis and tools