About the Company
Are you interested in using data science to solve big and important problems in new ways like completely changing the way that media companies interact with their viewers or helping companies understand and find their most valuable customers to drive growth?
Civis Analytics helps businesses use data to gain a competitive advantage in how they identify, attract, and engage loyal customers and employees. With an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis works with Fortune 500 companies, the country’s largest nonprofits, and all levels of government to make data-driven decision-making essential to how the world’s best organizations operate.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
About the Role
The Applied Data Science (ADS) team is the consultancy arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with companies to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. ADS Leads manage, supervise and mentor a team of Data Scientists to deliver analytic solutions to our commercial clients that help inform some of their biggest decisions.
They work closely with teams across the company, including engineering, product, legal, finance, and sales. Often they find themselves managing cross-functional teams to advise, oversee, and communicate their work internally and externally. They lead the scoping of their projects and are the face of Civis. They help grow Civis' business through delivering excellent work and identifying new strategic growth opportunities for the company.
- Manage a team of data scientists and often a cross-functional client team that provides consulting services that achieve our clients’ business goals through the usage of Civis’ services and technology.
- Partner with technical, product and sales teams to establish a strategy that accomplishes a client's strategic goals.
- Design the scope and analytics roadmap for clients. Manage a team through the process of solving some of our clients hardest problems; defining the client’s problem, designing a solution, and delivering high-quality work
- Own engagements end-to-end for clients that may include Fortune 500 companies, or high-profile startups
- Grow Civis' business by delivering excellent work to existing clients, identify new strategic growth opportunities for the company
- Develop and manage relationships with senior clients and decision makers and is responsible for all client-facing communication and work product
- Lead the research design of their projects, including statistical and data management methods, soliciting input from subject matter experts when needed
- Ensure that all deliverables provide substantive value to clients, adhere to our standards, and further our mission
- Manage teams of data scientists
- Some travel required
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, etc) or Business
- A strong foundation in statistics and data analytics expertise in survey research and statistical modeling. Familiarity with machine learning, and causal inference a plus. This will be demonstrated by having at least 5 years of experience working with large data sets to solve real-world business challenges
- Experience managing teams to complete products within scope and on time
- Proficiency in SQL and/or statistical packages (R, Python, STATA, etc)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated history of delivering high-quality analytic work to decision makers in a client services environment
- Experience working for a consulting, services, or advisory firm
- Advanced degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, business, etc.) or Masters in Business Administration
- Expertise in SQL and/or statistical packages (R, Python, STATA, etc)
- Experience writing proposals, building cost and pricing estimates of proposed work, and selling the work to new or existing clients
- Experience presenting completed work or pitching new work to executive audiences