About the Company
Civis Analytics helps businesses use data to gain a competitive advantage in how they identify, attract, and engage loyal customers and employees. With an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis works with Fortune 500 companies, the country’s largest nonprofits, and all levels of government to make data-driven decision-making essential to how the world’s best organizations operate.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
About the Role
Civis Analytics is seeking a talented, motivated Agile QA Lead to help take our award-winning applications to the next level of automation. You’ll collaborate with a strong team of data scientists and engineers to build cutting-edge products that are changing the way data science is done. We take quality seriously and regard it a critical element in the growth and health of our products. The QA Practice Lead will report directly to the VP of Engineering.
We are looking for someone to bring significant existing QA experience with a focus on scalability through test automation and practice leadership. The person in this role has demonstrable experience applying a highly efficient automated approach to testing and instrumenting other engineers within the practice. You will promote software quality and best practices across the entire product suite as well as be an advocate for quality throughout the company.
You will lead by example as the first member of the testing team, developing automated tests and defining the testing patterns that the development teams follow. As the practice matures, you will hire, lead, and manage a QA engineering team to expand the scale and capabilities of your team. You will help establish and measure to metrics.
This role is focused on the advancement of our QA strategy through technology and automation; however, as an active member of the QA team will involve other day-to-day QA activities including non-automated testing.
You’ll do this by:
- Working closely with Software Development Team Leads, Product Owners, and Design Lead to ensure that the quality standard is set and adhered to
- Having lead responsibility across the entire QA function
- Developing, communicating, training, and maintaining automation-testing strategies
- Creating and maintaining a flexible/scalable test-driven development framework and integrated process by working with other practice leads
- Identifying and adopting strategies for engineering test deliverables, including a balance of API automation, UI automation and exploratory testing
- Building tools that help engineers be more autonomous, productive, write better code, and test it themselves
- Working directly with department leadership to champion automation testing and quality assurance principles in a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Participating in design, code and test plan reviews as needed and providing appropriate recommendations
- Constantly seeking opportunities to improve our quality and testing approach and measure impact over time
- Maintaining aptitude with the latest, most relevant QA technologies and trends
- Measuring quality using metrics that matter to customers
- Reporting quality-related KPIs and other relevant information to senior management
- Four-year degree, preferably in Computer Science or MIS, or equivalent industry experience
- 5+ years experience in software testing (functional/non-functional/automated)
- Have an eye for detail and hold a high bar
- Ability to measure quality using objective metrics
- Organized, manage time well, and have strong communication skills
- Experience with testing modern web technologies, like React and Ruby on Rails
- Strong technical skills and are comfortable with technical tools, scripting, and more
- Take ownership and price in the software and user experiences you QA
- Leadership experience or strong, demonstrable leadership skills and the desire to move into leadership
- Experience with agile software development practices and continuous deployment
- Experience with modern test automation, testing frameworks, services, their associated processes, and excited to instrument a cutting-edge company with these assets
- Experience testing applications hosted on, and leveraging the managed services of Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Computer, and/or Microsoft Azure
- Experience with data science languages, libraries, and tools like pandas, scikit-learn, NumPy, SciPy, R or STATA
- Specific experience with Selenium, TravisCI, RSpec, Cucumber, or Webdriver with the flexibility to work with new tools to scale testing across roles
- Strong knowledge of data processing technologies and trends