Pay Range: $19.08- $21.47/hr.
Job Posting Closing on: Thursday, December 2, 2021
The City of Fort Worth is the 12th largest city in the U.S. and the fastest growing among large cities. Fort Worth has received multiple accolades, including number one Downtown (Livability), and the second-best City in the nation for Job Seekers (Forbes). Our employees serve the needs of over 800,000 residents. We are seeking individuals that reflect our values of exceptional customer experience, mutual respect, embracing our diversity, continuous improvement, ethical behavior, and accountability.
A Library Assistant jobs is available at the Library. The Library is seeking outgoing, creative, youth-focused Library Assistants for three locations: Central, East Regional and East Berry Branch. Each of these positions is full-time. A resume and cover letter are required. Please state your preferred location in your cover letter.
The ideal candidate for this position is customer-focused, enthusiastic about bringing library services to young people in the community, and comfortable working with diverse populations including people of all ages, backgrounds, dispositions, and abilities. The purpose of this position is to provide exemplary service to customers, including answering basic reference and readers’ advisory questions, designing and implementing high-interest programs, workshops, and classes, and providing technology support and instruction. The ideal candidates must be able to work evenings and weekends, work at/travel to various locations and ability to work a flexible schedule.
It’s an exciting time to join the Fort Worth Public Library! We have an exciting new vision to build a community of learners, dreamers, and doers. Find out more online.
The Library Assistant job responsibilities include:
- Provides friendly, efficient, and professional service to customers, in-person, by telephone, and via email. This includes answering basic reference, reader's advisory, and general usage questions, helping customers locate materials and services of interest, and checking in and out materials.
- Plans and delivers programs, workshops, and classes for youth ages birth to seventeen, including weekly story time programs for the Library’s youngest customers.
- Provides customers with technology assistance and computer training, and assists customers with self-service equipment and technology.
- Operates a cash register, conducts customer payment transactions, maintains a cash drawer.
- Develops library displays and merchandises materials to showcase the Library’s materials, programs, and special events.
- Conducts community outreach, including processing new library accounts and replacing library cards at outreach events.
- Champions the Library’s strategic goals and initiatives with the system’s mission, vision, and core values in mind.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum job requirements include:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a related field.
- No prior experience is required.
- At least two years of progressively responsible customer service experience.
- At least one year of experience working in a library setting.
- At least one year of experience working with youth ages birth to seventeen.
- Previous experience developing and presenting programs, workshops, and classes for youth.
- Previous cash handling experience.
- Ability to communicate with customers in Spanish.
While performing the essential functions of this job the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch, and lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. While performing the essential functions of this job the employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Conditions of Employment
Candidates who do not meet the Education requirement, may be considered if they have more relevant work experience than the position requires. Those selected for employment will be required to pass Pre-Employment checks depending on the position requirements. Those could include, but are not limited to: criminal background check, drug screen, education verification, etc. Criminal convictions will be considered on a case by case basis. Employees are paid by direct deposit only. Equal Opportunity Employer.