Pay Rate: $62,451 - $81,187 annual compensation
Job Posting Closing on: Monday, August 9, 2021
The City of Fort Worth is the 13th largest city in the U.S. and the fastest growing among large cities. Fort Worth has received multiple accolades, including number one Downtown (Livability), and the second-best City in the nation for Job Seekers (Forbes). Our employees serve the needs of over 800,000 residents. We are seeking individuals that reflect our values of exceptional customer experience, mutual respect, embracing our diversity, continuous improvement, ethical behavior, and accountability.
A Senior Planner job is available with the City of Fort Worth Planning & Data Analytics Department. The Planning & Data Analytics Department works with citizens, businesses, developers, City departments, and other stakeholders to build a strong community, while we work to become the most livable and best managed city in Texas.
The Planning Division prepares long-range and strategic plans for the city’s growth and development, while also serving as a key focal point for plan implementation. The Division prepares and updates the City’s Comprehensive Plan; conducts long-range planning for Transit-Oriented Development and other target urban areas; implements Fort Worth’s Urban Village Development Program; coordinates City implementation of the Trinity River Vision and Panther Island projects; and supports open space, watershed, public art, and other specific area planning and implementation, including urban design, form-based code development, and streetscape improvement projects. The Division conducts a variety of GIS and data analyses, such as buildable land inventories and fiscal impact analyses. In addition, the Planning Division works with a variety of City departments and other stakeholders to help coordinate capital projects planning and implementation, including supporting the City’s Capital Improvement Plan.
Senior Planner job responsibilities include:
- Carrying out long-range and strategic planning assignments related to comprehensive planning and specific area planning.
- Preparing plans and reports through data gathering and analysis, plan and report writing, document layout and graphics, and presentations.
- Working with City departments and other agencies to support long-range plan development and implementation, with an emphasis on data-driven development decisions and infrastructure investments.
Examples of projects that may be assigned to this position include:
- Preparing and updating the City’s Comprehensive Plan and special purpose, strategic, or specific area plans.
- Working with stakeholders and community groups to develop corridor plans or neighborhood plans.
- Planning for Urban Villages and Transit-Oriented Development areas around passenger rail stations.
- Analyzing and integrating land use, environmental, and transportation planning information for a variety of municipal planning and data analysis projects.
- Conducting special GIS, demographics, growth trends, housing needs assessments, or fiscal impact analysis projects.
- Managing public participation processes associated with planning projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a primary focus in urban or regional planning, urban geography, public administration, data analytics, civil engineering, GIS, urban design, or a closely related field.
- Five (5) years of experience in city planning.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Urban or Regional Planning, Urban Geography, Public Administration, Data Analytics, GIS, Civil Engineering, or a related field.
- More than five (5) years of experience in planning with an emphasis on long-range city planning and/or municipal data analytics.
- Significant experience in long-range planning, including compelling work on municipal comprehensive plans, area plans, and/or urban design for walkable urban districts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of land use, environmental, and/or transportation planning, together with demographic and economic research methods and tools, data analytics, capital projects/CIP planning, ArcGIS, and/or urban design.
- Excellent writing skills; graphic document layout and/or graphic design skills; data analysis skills; and project management skills.
- Experience in analyzing and reporting on statistical and/or budget data, capital projects data, maps and/or graphic planning information.
- Adept at establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders and staff.
- Proficiency in MS Office software and working familiarity with GIS and/or Adobe InDesign or other document layout and graphic design software.
- Membership in AICP, CNU-A, or an equivalent professional organization is a plus.
Conditions of Employment
Candidates who do not meet the Education requirement, may be considered if they have more relevant work experience than the position requires. Those selected for employment will be required to pass Pre-Employment checks depending on the position requirements. Those could include, but are not limited to: criminal background check, drug screen, education verification, etc. Criminal convictions will be considered on a case by case basis. Employees are paid by direct deposit only. Equal Opportunity Employer.