Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
Cityblock is looking for a Software Engineer with experience building backend services on top of unified data models as part of our Data Services team. The Data Services team’s mission is to build and support robust and scalable services that allow clients to transact with source-of-truth data. Our warehoused data serves two purposes here: to present our front-end teams with accurate representations of Cityblock Members and to gain insights through reporting, analytics, and data science to better understand the populations we serve.
As part of our team, you will work hand in hand with our Product Manager, technical leaders, and fellow Engineers to reimagine and reimplement our technical stack to best serve Cityblock Members. You will co-create and support the technical vision, strategy, and roadmap which inspires the team, builds confidence in our stakeholders, and aligns closely with DevOps principles to allow us to scale rapidly. As part of the Data Services team, you will help build and maintain excellent working relationships with stakeholders, so that the team can understand business priorities and expectations. You will help meet and manage those expectations by working with colleagues to translate those needs and aspirations into manageable technical projects which ultimately delight our stakeholders, while creating opportunities for growth and knowledge sharing on the team.
As a Software Engineer on the team, you will find opportunities to mentor and and share knowledge with your colleagues. You will work with team managers to ensure that your colleagues get both appreciative and developmental feedback, so that they have the right information, skills, and opportunities to grow and be effective in their roles. You will support and continue to help build a culture of team delivery over individual glory (or defeat) and encourage self-organization. And you will ultimately hold yourself and others accountable for a healthy, psychologically safe place to work.
You will be most successful in this role if you are self-motivated and energized by the chance to create a data infrastructure which can meet rapidly changing needs and requirements. You value time spent implementing interesting technical challenges as a team. And you enjoy creating a place where everyone can feel included, cared for, and supported personally and professionally.
Your role is critical in helping us support members in communities hardest hit by COVID-19 through helping our care teams consisting of community health partners, medical staff and social workers to problem-solve for our patients using opinionated information and driving action at a panel-level.
Requirements for the Role:
- You have a passion for doing mission-oriented work.
- You have experience and enjoy building micro or macro service architectures on top of unified data models for front-end applications and/or analytics platforms.
- You are an excellent communicator to a diverse set of audiences including stakeholders, product managers, peers, and direct reports.
- You are a self-motivated learner.
- You enjoy solving complex problems and balancing speed of execution with designing scalable solutions.
- You have 4+ years of experience working with SQL, ORMs, and relational data models.
- You have 4+ years of experience with the frameworks NodeJS, Express, or other web-related frameworks.
How We Define Success:
- Build and maintain strong relationships with your collaborators, including fellow Engineering teams, the Product team, Data Analytics, Data Signals, and Actuary.
- Create an engaging work environment for the Data Services team by focusing on the most impactful work, mentoring others, modeling transparency, and clearly communicating.
- Embrace team collaboration tools to effectively identify, track, and communicate priorities both for day-to-day and long-term planning.
- Triage issues effectively and use that information to help guide the work of the team to make our data products more reliable and maintainable.
- Define, maintain, and promote standards for the team’s infrastructure, code, and development processes.
- Write clean, well-tested, code that will stand the test of time.
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Experience with healthcare data
- Experience with the languages Python or Scala
- Experience working in a cloud environment
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.
Covid 19 Update - Please Read: