Who we are
Cityblock Health is a new type of healthcare company, operating out of Brooklyn and backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs, along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to radically improve the health of urban communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we bring the capability to deliver care in the home and neighborhood with our field-based teams.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations and leading commercial partners, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. We deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services through a network of neighborhood hubs with deep community-based partnerships and world-class technology.
We partner with payers and at-risk providers, accepting capitated financial risk to care for their most vulnerable, high and rising risk members. Additionally, we invest in strategic partnerships with community-based and social services organizations, in some instances bringing them into the value equation through sub-capitation and performance-based compensation.
Over the next year we’ll grow quickly, including entering new markets, each with their own commercial relationships and field-based teams. This role will be a key contributor to the success of our business.
We are looking for a data engineer to help build and maintain the data infrastructure that backs Commons—our digital care management platform. Commons enables our clinical teams to engage with patients, collect structured data about medical, behavioral and social needs, and develop personalized care plans that drive good health. Commons will allow our care operations to scale to eventually support hundreds of thousands of patients in cities across the country.
As one of our first data engineers, you will help build Mixer—our data pipeline. You will work closely and cross-functionally with your peers from the product, data, and clinical teams to collect and structure data—both from primary and 3rd party data sources— analyze that data, and make it useful in promoting the medical and social well-being of our patients through automation and decision-support capabilities.
Mixer involves a collection of services that run on Google Cloud Platform, including PubSub, Dataflow (via Scio), Datastore, and BigQuery. These services are provided by Scala, Ruby, and Elixir.
If you’re inspired by such a challenge and are an amazing teammate, we’d love to hear from you!
- Be responsible for the integrity and accuracy of data in our systems.
- Focus on building our data pipeline, i.e. the backend features and related data infrastructure that will store, clean and transform data—making it useful to our application and reporting layers.
- Develop secure integrations into the data systems of various community and health system partners (e.g. EHRs, HIEs, ADT feeds, claims/pre-auth feeds, predictive analytics as well as data sets from government services and community-based organizations).
- Design our data pipeline to scale up to handle integrations across hundreds/thousands of partners
- Write clean, well-tested, code that will stand the test of time.
- Participate in creating and maintaining strict compliance, data privacy and security measures.
- Help recruit highly capable engineers to the team from diverse backgrounds.
- Learn continuously via mentorship (and on your own!) to upgrade your skills and thinking as an engineer.
- Collaborate with clinicians and social workers to understand the challenges that they face and develop solutions to drive better care for patients.
You’d be a good fit if:
- You are excited at the prospect making messy data useful.
- You have done data engineering work like this before in healthcare.
- You enjoy doing whatever it takes to execute on complex projects with little guidance.
- You have 3+ years experience writing production code.
- You have worked in fast-moving startup environments before.
- You enjoy taking initiative.
- You have a process-oriented mindset and ability to execute.
- You have a passion for doing mission-oriented work.
Nice to have:
- Experience with the technologies in our stack.
- Experience deploying models created by data scientists.
- Familiarity with BI tools (e.g. Looker, Tableau, etc).
- Experience building user-facing features.
- Previous exposure to clinical operations and/or working with physicians.
“Nice to have” really means “nice to have”. It’s completely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit for the team.
You should include these in your application:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile.
- A cover letter including a one paragraph summary of a technical project you’re most proud to have built and what was hard about it. Optionally include links to public-facing documentation about the project such as a Github repo or blog post, if available.
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.