Technology has been a part of CitizenGO’s ecosystem since its founding. CitizenGO pioneered some of the first online tactics for conservative collective action — from online petitions to offline actions. Over the last years, technology, data, infrastructure, and analytics have empowered CitizenGO election program tactics, rapid response mobilization tactics, and played an outsized role in CitizenGO’s recent growth. CitizenGO has invested deeply in data warehousing and infrastructure, in analytics-driven modeling and targeting, and integrating the political tech ecosystem.
Any technology team member works with over 70 team members in over 20 countries to ensure reliable and secure systems that enable CitizenGO to do its global campaigning.
The Data Scientist reports to the Director of Technology.
The Data Scientist belongs to the Data Science team.
Data Scientist Responsibilities
- Work closely with campaigners to ensure they have easy access to the metrics they need to make strategic, data-driven decisions; develop SQL queries, dashboards, spreadsheets, charts, etc. to provide this information in a clear and friendly format.
- Figure out if our emails are getting through to all our members, or if they are being filtered by ISPs; develop and implement strategies to make sure our emails are always reaching our target audience.
- Work closely with the media and online campaigners and fundraising people to develop, implement, and refine our list of testing and analytics priorities.
- Support the implementation of new organizational metrics for measuring important, but hard-to-quantify, outcomes, such as member engagement.
- Manage data quality -- make sure our database is clean, is recording all important information, and that the data is structured in such a way to make key queries as easy as possible to undertake.
- Train our staff on basic analytics concepts (like statistical significance), basic SQL and Google Spreadsheet skills and other useful data-related tools; build a culture of testing across the organization
- Engage with the broader conservative movement by disseminating our key testing findings to allies and building the culture of testing into our partnerships
Data Scientist Requirements
- Has a solid command of SQL; can find the most efficient way to write a complex SELECT statement.
- Is comfortable writing formulas and manipulating spreadsheets to analyze datasets.
- Consistently spots when data looks wrong, and has the ability to figure out why.
- Enjoys turning mountains of data into clean reports and visualizations that are attractive and user-friendly.
- Pays attention to all the details, ensuring that our conclusions are based on the cleanest possible data.
- Knowledge of statistical concepts, such as significance, sample size, confidence intervals, etc.
- Experience designing & running optimization experiments, including basic online A/B testing.
- Is skilled at explaining analytical reports or other data work products to non-technical audiences.
- Is fascinated by statistics, data mining, and user interface experimentation.
- Is self-directed and excited to build their own workflow.
- Able to work remotely (CitizenGO provides funds to set-up a home office or to work from a co-working space)
- Able to work both independently and cooperatively, taking initiative to learn and develop your skills.
- Fluency in English and excellent communication skills, especially in writing.