Technology has been a part of CitizenGO’s ecosystem since its founding. CitizenGO pioneered some of the first online tactics for conservative collective action — from online petitions to offline actions. Over the last years, technology, data, infrastructure, and analytics have empowered CitizenGO election program tactics, rapid response mobilization tactics, and played an outsized role in CitizenGO’s recent growth. CitizenGO has invested deeply in data warehousing and infrastructure, in analytics-driven modeling and targeting, and integrating the political tech ecosystem.
Any technology team member works with over 70 team members in over 20 countries to ensure reliable and secure systems that enable CitizenGO to do its global campaigning.
Software Engineer Manager
The Software Engineer Manager reports to the Director of Technology.
The Software Engineer Manager is a technical generalist who will lead the Software Engineering team.
Software Engineer Manager Responsibilities
- Lead the Software team.
- Provide mentorship for junior and intermediate engineers on his team to help them grow in their technical responsibilities/skills and remove blockers to their autonomy.
- Develop effective ways to communicate, monitor, and lead his team through asynchronous communication. Participate in code reviews, bug fixing, improving developer experience, and smooth edges.
- Learning and spreading technical knowledge throughout CitizenGO team members, moving knowledge to the documentation if needed, understanding bus-factor, and training others.
- Continuously improve our build and deployment automation. Confidently ship moderately sized features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members.
- Collaborate across various disciplines and roles (managers, campaigners, designers) to help set technical roadmaps that will achieve organizational goals through engineering best practices. Work across our tech, campaigns, and operations teams.
- Architect systems that are reliable, scalable, and maintainable.
- Protect and secure the data of our members.
- Know industry trends and be up to date with modern technologies.
- Actively recruit, onboard, and train new engineers/programmers at CitizenGO. This might involve tweaking the skills portions of interviews, or writing better documentation.
- Solve technical problems of high scope and complexity.
Software Engineer Manager Requirements
- Experience in Google Cloud Platform products: Compute Engine and BigQuery.
- Effective communication skills: regularly achieve consensus with peers and clear status updates.
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process.
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term.
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset.
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Good strategic, creative, and innovative thinking.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Passion and commitment to human dignity, life, family, liberty, citizen empowerment, and social change.
- High professionalism, self-motivation, efficiency, and results-oriented delivery on short timelines.
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture and a hierarchical team structure.
- Strong project and staff management skills.
- Ability to adjust quickly to changing conditions and requirements.
- Fluency in English is a requirement. Spanish and other additional languages are an asset.