Citizen is the No. 1 personal safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings,, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are fire engines passing by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident and communicating with one another, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, give people the immediate information to stay safe.
Our first paid product—Citizen Premium—is a only-of-its-kind personal safety subscription that allows users to reach a digital guardian 24/7 for $20/mo. Subscribers have used Citizen Premium to travel safely on late-night walks, to request help from first responders or nearby community members, and to guide emergency response to remote locations.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will continue to expand and prioritize We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to join Citizen.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital, 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised $100M+ in VC funding.
About the Team:
Citizen Premium is Citizen’s first subscription product and combines the power of our network, trained safety agents, and technology to give everyone the power to protect themselves and the people they love. Citizen Premium includes a powerful suite of safety products including a fast way to reach a safety professional when you’re in trouble and a live tracking tool so your friends and loved ones can look out for you.
The talented, detail-oriented, and experienced individuals on this team are responsible for guiding Citizen user’s through any safety situation, big or small. Team members are able to think on their toes, quickly triage situations, and are passionate about keeping their communities safe and informed.
Citizen is searching for trained public safety professionals who are equipped to help when a user feels like they might need it. Premium Agents will play a key role in communicating directly with users who are in need of assistance in potentially unsafe conditions. You will be responsible for guiding difficult conversations and using strong judgment. You will be at the frontlines of helping users who feel unsafe in their surroundings and offer direct assistance and escalation to 911, when necessary.
You will also play a key role in monitoring user-generated content on Citizen, including live videos and comments from users who want to share critical safety information. You will be responsible for assessing situations, applying the appropriate help response, and disseminating safety information to law enforcement and/or on the Citizen platform.
Please note that we run a 24/7/365 operation and candidates applying for this role must be able to work a 4-day work week (10 hour shift) from 9pm-7am EST. Candidates must be able to work a schedule of Wednesday - Saturday (Sunday/Monday/Tuesday off).
- Communicate with users who have indicated they are in need of immediate assistance via video call or chat
- Triage the level of severity of each video call or chat and make appropriate assessments of necessary next steps
- Offer support and guidance in real-time to any user who feels unsafe
- Decide when a situation is of heightened importance and should be escalated to 911
- Work with a team of Safety Alert Writers to help distribute relevant safety information
- Monitor all areas of the platform where user-generated content can be published or publicly viewed, and ensure it meets the company’s guidelines and standards
- Make real-time judgment calls that directly impact a person’s personal safety
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of the company's policies and editorial guidelines
- Experience as a first responder, medical professional, or in a public safety role
- Experience handling a high call volume, or experience screening a large amount of content
- Ability to exercise superb judgment on sensitive subject matters
- Ability to mitigate stressful situations and demonstrate empathy for others
- Ability to multitask and effectively prioritize
- Superb writing and verbal communication skills
- Flexible and open to constantly-changing priorities and managing multiple tasks simultaneously within tight time frames
Salary Range & Benefits:
The below represents the expected salary range for this position in New York, New York. We take a number of factors into account when determining compensation including your location, experience, and other job-related factors.
Hourly Range: $27-$34/hr + equity + benefits
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.