Citizen is the No. 1 public safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s 911 alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are helicopters overhead or fire engines passing by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident, communicating with one another, and reading live updates, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
Our paid products—Citizen Protect and Citizen Plus, enhance the Citizen experience by offering users powerful features like police scanner radio, historical incidents, custom alerts zones, and access to a digital guardian 24/7 help. Subscribers have used Citizen Protect to de-escalate tense domestic situations, guide emergency response to remote hiking locations, travel safely on late-night walks and Ubers.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will expand even further across the United States this year to keep more users safe and informed. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help bring Citizen to hundreds of cities nationwide.
Citizen is backed by 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised $100M+ in VC funding.
About the Role
Marketing is critical to Citizen’s success. As Head of Marketing, you will develop and execute Citizen’s company strategy alongside the broader leadership team. You will build Citizen’s Marketing organization from the ground up, working in close partnership with Operations, Technology, Content, Talent and other teams to grow our community and keep more people safe and informed.
You will work closely with our Founder and leadership team to define our brand and narrative and grow consumer awareness. This Marketing leader will build scalable campaign strategies, developing both national/global and hyper-local/grassroots initiatives to drive sustained growth.
- Build and lead a team of outstanding marketers to ensure the success and adoption of Citizen across new and existing markets.
- Define the Citizen brand and story, developing the voice, tone, visuals, guidelines, and communications plan to bring that story to life.
- Craft Citizen’s value proposition, positioning and messaging for key audiences and customer personas.
- Design and coordinate implementation of a social media strategy across the company’s corporate channels, ensuring it aligns with our business goals, voice, and brand, and improves engagement
- New Market Launch Marketing: Own marketing strategy and roadmap for new market expansion to drive growth and reach customer acquisition goals. Understand how Citizen should prioritize new markets, refine our understanding of product/market fit, and position the product to different customers, communities, and consumer needs. Figure out our go-to-market strategy and what channels we should use to reach potential customers.
- Product/Customer Marketing: Partner closely with our Product team to drive demand and feature adoption (MAU) through customer engagement strategies and lifecycle marketing campaigns. Own feature launch marketing including positioning, naming, messaging, etc.
- Build a Movement: Connect with our users to build a movement where people help each other stay safe using Citizen. This may include online and offline campaigns (ambassador and referral programs, influencer marketing, community outreach, content marketing, social media, etc) to impact existing markets and build demand in new markets pre-launch.
- Create a consumer insights function to better identify needs and challenges to improve cross-functional understanding of our user base and inform feature development.
- Build a Performance Marketing function. Work with our Data team to monitor campaign performance, rapidly iterate and improve messaging, creative, and targeting to impact growth and drive efficiency across channels and markets.
- Recruit, grow, motivate, and mentor the Marketing team, ensuring they are set up for success and successful in their roles.
- Measure what matters across the funnel to drive clear prioritization of the team's efforts.
- 10+ years of experience in Marketing, with an emphasis on Product Marketing and Community Engagement. Political or non-profit campaign experience (local, grassroots, movement-driven) a plus.
- You have proven ability in building, developing, organizing, and leading teams
- You are data-driven and performance-oriented. You understand how to use objective measurements to drive focus, alignment, prioritization, and decision-making.
- You’re an outstanding storyteller and communicator — to executives, cross-functional leaders, and the broad and diverse Citizen community
- You have demonstrated ability to drive measurable growth and/or engagement for new or existing products
- Low ego and collaborative. You are proactive and strategic but also implementation-focused; you're ready to roll up your sleeves and make an impact right away
- A mission-driven marketer and creative problem-solver. You are attracted to taking on big, complex problems (read: opportunities!)
Salary Range & Benefits:
The below represents the expected salary range for this position in New York, New York. We take a number of factors into account when determining compensation including your location, experience, and other job-related factors.
Salary Range: $170,000 to $200,000 annually + equity + benefits
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.