Citizen is the No. 1 personal safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings,, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen's alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are fire engines passing by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident and communicating with one another, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, give people the immediate information to stay safe.
Our first paid product—Citizen Protect—is a only-of-its-kind personal safety subscription that allows users to reach a digital guardian 24/7 for $20/mo. Subscribers used Citizen Protect to guide emergency response to remote hiking locations, or travel safely on late-night walks..
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will continue to expand and prioritize We're looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to join Citizen.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital, 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised $150M+ in VC funding.
About The Role
Citizen is building an innovative and differentiated People function. As the Director of People Operations and direct report to the Chief People Officer, you will play a key role in that build. You will own the day-to-day people operations function, working in close partnership with the Director of Talent Acquisition. You will work as a player/coach to build and manage a world-class people operations team across business partners, employee experience, talent management, internal systems/HRIS, total rewards, training and development, employee/labor relations, and compliance. You will be both strategic and hands-on, a builder and an operator, as well as a key member of the People leadership team.
We are looking for someone who has experience developing cutting-edge people operations strategies and initiatives that support business goals, and who is motivated to provide a best-in-class employee experience. To be successful, you will balance best practices with innovation, knowing when to rely on the playbook and when to invent.
What You'll Do Here:
- Lead day-to-day people ops activities: performance management, employee relations, corporate policies/programs/procedures, change management, incident management, etc.
- Review and analyze data to identify trends and solutions to improve performance, retention, and employee experience; evaluate and implement solutions
- Proactively identify various People Ops technologies to make it easier for employees to get things done effectively and efficiently
- Partner with security and legal to create compliant people policies and practices
- Partner with leaders to drive performance and talent management initiatives and provide them with strategic and tactical people operations support
- Hire, manage and develop a small team of people operations specialists
- Provide guidance and input on organizational design, role design, workforce planning and succession planning
We'd Love to Hear From You if You Have:
- A passion for building - innovative people functions, strong relationships, and high-performing teams; and a true passion for providing an empathetic, human experience
- Deep curiosity, desire to teach and learn, and a commitment to excellence in everything you build
- 10+ years of human resources/people operations experience, including 5+ years of leadership and 2+ years in a startup environment; ownership over the entire people operations function preferred
- Managed strategic initiatives while owning the day to day operations
- Ability to influence and partner with different levels of the organization to achieve results
- Experience with employee relations and labor relations
- Demonstrated ability to coach managers to use company best practices for maximum effectiveness
- Demonstrated ability to manage multi-stakeholder projects from inception through to completion
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal skills; High quality document and report preparation
- Strong business acumen, including strong problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and self-initiative
- Created metrics for people operations; reporting regularly on activities/initiatives and using data to fuel improvement
- Proven success growing, managing, and leading a lean and high-powered people operations team across multiple locations
- Knowledge of the most effective systems that support the people operations processes
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.