Citizen is the No. 1 public safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s 911 alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are helicopters overhead or fire engines flying by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident, communicating with one another, and reading live updates, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will expand even further across the United States this year to keep more users safe and informed. Citizen’s newest product, Protect, is a premium subscription safety offering that is already helping thousands of users stay safe. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help bring Citizen to tens of millions of people worldwide.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital, 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised tens of millions in VC funding.
About the Team
Mission Control is Citizen's 24/7 newsroom. The talented, detail-oriented, and creative individuals on this team are the frontline of our business. Every incident created in the Citizen app is managed by a Safety Alert Writer. Many of Citizen's Safety Alert Writers are former journalists, copywriters, content creators, and first responders—and most importantly have a passion for keeping their communities safe and informed.
We are looking for collaborative and mission-driven problem solvers to join Mission Control. Safety Alert Writers are responsible for managing a specific territory and developing public safety emergencies during their shifts. The majority of their time is spent monitoring and listening to various data and audio sources, including police radio, in order to collect, process, and translate safety notifications to millions of Citizen users in real-time and help them stay safe.
Please note that we run a 24/7/365 operation and new team members who have the flexibility to take on weekend shifts are more likely to be considered.
- Educate and empower users to keep them safe through real-time reporting on crime and public safety emergencies
- Monitor, interpret, moderate multiple streams of data, including listening to police radio, and create incidents in the app in real-time
- Exercise superb editorial judgment on sensitive subject matter
- Research local news in Citizen's coverage areas
- Collaborate with colleagues to investigate breaking national or international stories
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree
- Fluent in English; excellent writer with flawless grammar
- Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus
- 60+ WPM typing speed (visit: https://www.ratatype.com/typing-test/ to confirm)
- Resilient, resourceful, and adaptable
- Conscientious, demonstrating high attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and effectively prioritize
- Ex-journalists, reporters, editors, writers, instructors, producers, first responders, public safety officials, criminology buffs; experience in another creative field, startup, or fast-paced environment a plus
- Bonus: experience using Citizen and/or listening to police radio
- Scope and Impact
- You are focused on your own work.
- You work with your manager to develop an understanding on work/learnings to prioritize.
- Functional Skills
- You are becoming an expert on the region and/or type of content you were trained on.
- You are working with shift managers and your colleagues to escalate incidents.
- You utilize core features of ProtectOS and other tools to do your work.
- Collaboration and Communication
- You consistently demonstrate professional verbal and written communication skills, in both one-on-one and group settings.
- You actively listen, and work with team members to present complex problems, goals, and ideas in a way that is approachable and open to feedback.
- You proactively work to improve skills and learn new duties.
- You identify and articulate common problems and challenges, and collaborate with your manager on proposed solutions.
- Leadership and Core Principles
- You recognize your mistakes as they come up and proactively identify methods to prevent them.
- You are developing your ability to give specific and mindful feedback to your peers and manager.
- You consistently deliver on your work.
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks. Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.