Citizen is the No. 1 public safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s 911 alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are helicopters overhead or fire engines flying by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident, communicating with one another, and reading live updates, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will expand even further across the United States this year to keep more users safe and informed. Citizen’s newest product, Protect, is a premium subscription safety offering that is already helping thousands of users stay safe. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help bring Citizen to tens of millions of people worldwide
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital, 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised tens of millions in VC funding.
About the Role
The Head of Business Operations and Finance will drive our evolution from a scrappy, fast-growing tech startup to a well-oiled professional company built for scale. You’ll need to do this while maintaining the best elements of our culture: quick iteration, a bias toward action, close-knit team-oriented culture, and a passionate, mission-driven environment.
You will establish a high-functioning operational cadence across the business, and you will make sure we are constantly thinking ahead and building the team we will need for the future.
You will drive alignment across teams and inspire people to do the best work of their careers - read on for specifics:
- You will build a small but mighty team to deliver on the following:
- Business Operations:
- Strategy and planning - [Help] Drive annual and quarterly strategic planning for the business, aligning executives on goals, targets, and KPIs
- Business partnering - become a trusted business partner to ensure departments and leaders are set up for success by driving accountability with metrics and analytical support
- Change agent - work with leaders to take action on insights surfaced from our data team
- Financial planning - Own our financial model and maintain visibility into cash runway and performance against plan
- Budgeting - translate strategic plan into financial operating plan, allocating headcount and spend budgets to each department
- Accounting - manage monthly accounting close with outsourced accountants
- Financial reporting - quarterly board reporting, investor relations
- Capital markets and fundraising - work with CEO on future fundraises
- Financial operations - oversee Payroll, Accounts Payable, and Equity functions, coordinate with external providers on Tax
- Upgrade existing processes and controls and establish those we may currently lack
- Leadership & Culture - hire top-quality people to ensure the appropriate support across each function. Set OKRs for your organizations. Build a culture of accountability, support, and ownership. In partnership with our other executives, you will be responsible for building a positive, highly engaged, high performance, and execution-oriented culture.
- Drive efficiency in our operations and establish appropriate controls in our business without compromising speed
- Analyze complex scaling challenges, synthesize findings, and build frameworks for company-wide strategic decisions related to all functions
- This is a dynamic environment and many unique things will come up. You will be a point of escalation, deciding how to best approach ad hoc or unpredictable items.
- 10+ years operating experience with increasing leadership responsibility in high-performance environments
- 5+ years operational and management experience ideally scaling a high-growth tech company with a focus on Operations, Strategy, Product, Finance, People, or related areas
- 3+ years experience at a top-tier Finance, Consulting, or Private Equity firm
- Data-driven decision-making process
- You achieve the right balance between big-picture strategic thinking and nailing the details
- Phenomenal communicator
- Excellent judge of potential, character, and performance
- You prioritize effectively and constantly
- You insist on hiring people more talented than yourself
- You take pride in developing and mentoring your team
- You know how things work at scale but are hungry to roll up your sleeves and do the work of building from our early-stage
Citizen is a remote-first environment that offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, paid time off, stock option plan, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.