Citizen is the No. 1 public safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s 911 alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are helicopters overhead or fire engines flying by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident, communicating with one another, and reading live updates, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will expand even further across the United States this year to keep more users safe and informed. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help bring Citizen to hundreds of cities nationwide.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital, 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised tens of millions in VC funding.
About the Role
Citizen is seeking a dynamic and well-rounded General Counsel to be a key member of our growing company and the first hire on our legal team. In this role, you will support Product leadership as we look to build new features, helping to mitigate risk and highlight legal implications of potential new features. You will help implement legal policies, processes, and procedures as you build this internal function from the ground up. You will own establishing Citizen’s legal infrastructure, driving initiatives, and a variety of other special projects, in addition to managing multiple legal workstreams and outside legal support.
You will advise on legal matters and issues, protecting our legal interest, maintaining its operations within the scope established by applicable laws and regulations, the preparation and review of related documents and the maintenance of appropriate documentation for such activities.
- 10+ years of experience in a broad variety of law including but not limited to: corporation and securities law, employment law, contract law, intellectual property law, and tax laws
- 3+ years of experience working in an in-house legal team within a tech startup, ideally with a specialization in technology products
- Sound judgement and the ability to advise senior leadership on best practices
- Experience in supporting Product teams and building technology products, mitigating risk and highlighting legal implications of potential new features
- US state bar license
- Serves as the key legal advisor on all major business transactions
- Advise Product leadership on legal implications of potential new product features and iterations of existing products
- Ensure that Citizen conducts business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Create and improve processes, agreements, and document templates by drawing from your legal knowledge and experience to craft the right document or structure for Citizen
- Governmental regulations, stocks and securities obstacles, and intellectual property protection
Citizen is a remote-first environment that offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, paid time off, stock option plan, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.