Citizen is the No. 1 public safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s 911 alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are helicopters overhead or fire engines flying by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident, communicating with one another, and reading live updates, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will expand even further across the United States this year to keep more users safe and informed. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help bring Citizen to hundreds of cities nationwide.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital, 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised tens of millions in VC funding.
About the Role
The Director, HR Business Partner helps drive our mission by working with employees across the company to ensure Citizen is a phenomenal place to work for everyone. You will be hands-on in providing support across employee engagement, employee relations, growth and development, workforce planning, and conflict management. You will also have the opportunity to set the foundation for our future by building HR best practices and programs at Citizen. You will drive results in the role by being innovative, driven, collaborative and dependable. Our ideal hire cares deeply about our mission and company culture. You will help put programs in place to boost employee engagement and drive growth across the business.
- Proactively find opportunities and assess improvements to the employee experience, while partnering with leadership to create and implement innovative and lasting solutions
- Build credibility and trust among employees. Act as front-line HR Partner to resolve employee concerns. You will be responsible for building and adhering to a systematic approach, with clear documentation and follow-through.
- Support onboarding for new employees joining Citizen
- Identify and deploy impactful people strategies and policies that enable the Citizen to perform optimally and scale efficiently as we grow. This may include strategies/policies around Goal Setting & Accountability, Effective Communication, Employee Benefits, Learning & Development, Compensation Philosophy, Performance Cycles, and Culture.
- Build effective working strategies for fully-distributed teams
- Advise, mentor/coach, and guide all employees to develop positive employee engagement capability and leadership skills
- Perform periodic audits and leverage them to drive timely corrections and accountability
- Deliver appropriate coaching and development feedback to managers and employees
- Bachelor's Degree and 7+ years experience in an HRBP or HR Manager function in a tech startup environment
- General familiarity with federal, state and local laws and statutes for employment
- Experience supporting fully-distributed teams
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with all levels of the organization and positively influence teams
- Experience supporting both exempt and non-exempt employees
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to use discretion when handling sensitive information
- Experience objectively coaching employees through difficult issues
- Experience understanding strategic organizational challenges and inspiring change
- Comfort with ambiguity and motivated by building and finding solutions
Citizen is a fully-distributed team that offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock options, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.