CircleCI is looking for an experienced technology leader to join our growing, distributed Execution team. Teams in the Execution domain own the systems and services that power the heart of our product. We deliver customer outcomes through work on features like our self-hosted runner, new execution environments, new pricing models, and keeping our large multi-tenant fleet of build servers running smoothly.
We are looking for a manager who is enthusiastic about developing engineers and continuously delivering customer value. In this role, you will challenge and support our engineers with the individual in mind. Your primary focus is your team and the people in it, and you'll help build a great culture with diversity, inclusion, action orientation, and openness as our core values.
This is a full-time role in EMEA or the east coast of North America.
What You’ll Do:
This role is a people management role focused on the development of engineers and delivery of business value. Your recurring tasks and responsibilities include:
- Business value delivery: Ensure incremental value delivery and high-quality standards for the team while supporting strategic work in collaboration with our Product organization. The Execution domain lives in the Platform Engineering organization, with product goals that directly affect customer outcomes. You’ll work closely with Product to develop and deliver these outcomes
- Learning and Development: Attract, onboard, and retain diverse top talent. Develop people and the team through coaching, mentoring, and management support. Conduct regular 1:1s, goal setting, and feedback conversations with engineers to ensure their well-being and team health, and support them in their career path. Continuously work to improve inclusion and belonging.
- Process and Product: Maintain high levels of transparency, efficiency, with other development teams and product managers. You’ll also be involved in broader organisational development and cross-team initiatives with the rest of our engineering management team.
- Technical work: Help grow the expertise of your team’s performance, reliability, resilience, scalability, maintainable architecture, and experimentation. We don’t expect you to write or review code on a regular basis -- you have a team of excellent engineers for that -- so this role may not be for you if you will deeply miss those things. You should be technical enough to earn their trust, facilitate discussions and decisions, anticipate pitfalls, and to occasionally be the tiebreaker in technical conversations.
What We're Looking For:
- People development: You have at least two years of experience building and leading software development teams. Your experience includes hiring, having engineers directly reporting to you, and supporting them in their growth.
- Remote work: You bring experience working with distributed teams.
- Delivery: You are knowledgeable about modern software engineering practices and how to apply them. You believe in agile and lean values. You're experienced with using these methods in practice to continuously deliver business value. Experience with incident management and integrating it with delivery is a strong bonus.
- Leadership: You are a servant leader and strong collaborator who emphasizes continuous learning, and you know what it takes to build strong, productive teams. You thrive on developing people and building inclusive teams.
- Learning: You bring action orientation and a drive to continuously improve the teams you work with. You thrive in a culture centered on open communication, strong feedback, quick experimentation, blamelessness, and embracing failure to learn from it.
- Communication: You’re an effective communicator who enjoys driving a culture of open communication on your team. You have strong feedback skills, communicate openly with your team, and are open to being wrong and having your mind changed. You’re great at difficult conversations. You’re proficient in English in verbal and written form.
- Process Focused: You’re comfortable with ambiguity and turning that into just enough structure to call it process. You’ve scaled people and systems from non-existent to acceptable to scalable.
CircleCI welcomes those passionate about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do your best work, we hope you’ll apply.
How we hire Engineering Managers
Over the last year, we have made some critical shifts in our understanding of what we believe makes a great engineering manager at CircleCI, and learned a lot about our needs and values as an organization along the way. We wrote about this evolution, and what our hiring process for engineering managers looks like now: What we've learned about hiring engineering managers.
Further content that may be interesting for you:
- How to Get Hired at CircleCI
- How we interview engineers at CircleCI
- A Letter to Future CircleCI Employees
- How We Uphold Our Inclusive Values as a Global Team
- Our Engineering competency matrix, a framework that outlines expectations and growth paths for engineers.
- What to expect as a remote CircleCI employee
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.