At CircleCI, we enable all manner of developers to do better work every day. We run more than 35 million builds a month and we’re solely focused on helping our customers ship quality code, faster. Our organization is growing rapidly to meet the demands of our customers, and we’re looking for talented software engineering managers to join us for the adventure.
About Product Engineering at CircleCI
Together with Platform Engineering, we form the Engineering organization at CircleCI. We’re globally distributed across North America, Europe, and Asia, and currently made up of around 90 engineers in 11 teams, and growing quickly. We build, maintain, and scale many of our customer-facing features across areas such as: Data & Growth, empowering the growth of our business through utilisation of experiments and data; Core, the core of our application; and Monetisation, supporting payments for our software. We partner closely with our Product management team as well as with Platform Engineering, whose teams support areas such as security, as well as several platform- and infrastructure-facing initiatives, and enablement for our teams.
About the role
CircleCI is looking for experienced software engineering managers to build and lead new teams in our rapidly growing organization. Engineering managers play a critical part in our company’s success: every day, our engineering management team supports our growth by hiring engineers, putting together processes and workflows for their teams to quickly and reliably execute on customer-facing initiatives, and collaborating across not just engineering teams but product management, design, data science, and morel.
We’re looking for managers to help build a number of new teams in our product engineering organization in exciting spaces such as:
- Growth engineering - focusing on all aspects of the user journey from signup through onboarding to engagement and beyond
- Data intelligence and machine learning - diving into dynamic workflow and project optimization and network effects within our platform
- The buildout of Core application teams - expanding the heart of our platform and working closely to our users with features such as Orbs, Pipelines, permissions, our data model, and the CLI
What you’ll do:
- Hire and lead a brand new team of engineers to build customer-facing products across the technology stack - from backend application systems to rich, interactive user interfaces. You’ll be a founding member of a brand new engineering team and involved in all aspects of staffing, onboarding, and managing your engineers.
- Support engineers’ growth. You’ll have direct reports ranging from junior-level to highly experienced engineers, and will support their performance and career growth through regular one-on-ones, performance reviews, coaching, and mentoring.
- Be a strategic partner, collaborating closely with product managers, user researchers, and designers to refine product strategies, brainstorm new features, and execute on project plans to deliver real value to our customers.
- Collaborate closely and with talented engineers to help grow the expertise of your team, as well as your team’s performance, reliability, resilience, scalability, maintainable architecture, and experimentation. You are not expected to write or review code on a regular basis, but you are accountable for technical decisions made by the team, as well as improving the overall reliability, performance, and cost within the domains and services you own.
- Have an impact across the entire organization through efforts like scaling our engineering teams and collaborating on and implementing processes in areas such as hiring, product discovery, agile development practices, incident response, and more. We actively seek engineering managers who are interested in helping their teams and our organization get better, and helping us continuously improve.
What we're looking for:
- Experience: You have at least three years of experience building and leading software development teams. You’ve managed teams that have built and shipped products at scale and you’ve been a hiring manager for a growing team.
- Communication: You’re an effective communicator who enjoys driving a culture of open communication on your team, and are able to utilize asynchronous and synchronous means of communication to manage your team as well as stakeholders. You have strong feedback skills and communicate openly with your team and are open to being wrong and having your mind changed. You’re proficient in English in verbal and written form.
- Delivery: You know the ins and outs of modern software engineering practices and how to apply them to drive effective, timely, high-quality delivery and achievement of your team’s goals. You believe in agile and lean values. You favor regular, incremental delivery over perfection, and are proficient in providing visibility into your team’s work and progress. You have experience in your time as a manager collaborating closely with a product manager or product management team to deliver customer-facing features.
- Leadership: You emphasize continuous learning, and you know what it takes to build strong, productive, and inclusive teams, and are invested in your team members’ professional development and growth. You are able to make hard decisions and tradeoffs, and thrive on a high level of responsibility and autonomy. You like working on high exposure projects and tasks, and are keen to have impact in a crucial business domain.
- Remote work: You have spent at least 6 months working remotely full-time. You are comfortable working on and leading a distributed team across multiple time zones. Our teams’ time zones are usually optimised for delivery and do not exceed a spread of 7 time zones across.
- Adaptability: You are comfortable with ambiguity and figuring things out as they evolve, change, and new requirements emerge, and you’re able to help your team adjust to changing priorities
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.