As a Senior Technical Product Designer, you will participate in all phases of product development collaboratively with product managers and engineers. You will exercise your skills as a holistic designer, thinking about the customer’s journey over time and how highly technical users interact with the company as a whole.
You will focus on the more technical aspects of the product and should have knowledge of or deep interest in non-visual technical interfaces such as the CLI (command-line interface), API (application programming interface), technical configuration, and tool integrations. You should understand technical concepts like, continuous delivery, docker layer caching, SSH key rotation, webhooks, monorepos, etc.
You should be comfortable starting from zero and be able to partner with your product and engineering counterparts to drive a product from conception to launch. You will define the process for embedding design into our deeply technical teams and should have experience and ideas for how to effectively work together with engineers and technical product managers.
About Design at CircleCI
We’re a multi-disciplinary team that drives a consistent voice and experience through our entire customer and partner network. We consist of product designers, visual designers and user researchers who work hand in hand with marketing, product management and engineering to create CircleCI’s industry leading product. Fundamentally, we prioritize work that is high impact, measurable, and achievable. You will be an integral part of CircleCI’s success as you accelerate your career with a fast-paced team that is passionate and committed.
What you’ll do:
- Design artifacts that visually communicate structure, relationships and flow in addition to UI and screens.
- Design non-visual interfaces including technical messaging and command line interfaces.
- Provide guidance on API and configuration design.
- Provide insight into user behavior and goals through qualitative and quantitative research.
- Outline opportunities for expanding usage outside of the core product UI
- Uncover nitty gritty technical details that may affect both the engineering of the product and the design of other designers.
- Understand language and mental models that our users apply to their experiences in CCI and use this to inform our information architecture.
- Build deep cross-functional relationships with technical teams outside of core engineering (customer engineering, developer community, customer success)
What we're looking for:
- 5+ years of design experience (previous SaaS, enterprise or Developer tools work a huge plus.)
- A system thinker who has the vision to design the big picture, and the tactical ability to break it down so that engineering can succeed in building it incrementally
- Ability to think through complex user problems, propose solutions, mock them up in detail, and work with engineers to build them
- Ability to move seamlessly between defining strategy and delivering hands-on work
- Communicate design effectively, regardless of the audience
- Ability to collaborate with a team across multiple time zones
- Experience doing user research and synthesis
- A portfolio of work that shows research synthesis, flows, and examples of complex technical interfaces.
- Experience creating technical prototypes and validating them through research.
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS, and JS (advanced knowledge a big plus) with a desire/willingness to code.
- Familiarity designing and building design systems
- Experience with Lean UX methodologies
How to apply
If you’re interested in joining the team at CircleCI, please send a resumé and cover letter describing what inspires you and why you think you are a good fit for the team. If you contribute to an open-source project, write a blog, or have a presence on the web (Behance, Dribble, Twitter, etc.) we would love to hear about it.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect" candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in downtown San Francisco with a global, remote workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by IVP, Sapphire Ventures, Owl Rock, NextEquity Partners, Scale Venture Partners, Threshold Ventures, Baseline Ventures, Top Tier Capital Partners, Industry Ventures, Heavybit, and Harrison Metal Capital. Learn more at https://circleci.com.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.