Come help us build the world’s most reliable and fastest growing CI/CD system! Our customers range from well-known household brands to small startups and everywhere in between. We’re growing at a high pace and we need you to help us scale further.
CircleCI is looking for a Staff Full Stack Software Engineer to help with a mission-critical domain: the future of our pricing and billing applications. In this role, you’ll join a team of engineers responsible for the system our customers use to track their usage, pay for our services and ensure they can always keep building.
This is a full-time role at the E4 level on our Engineering Competency Matrix, and requires participation in our on-call support rotation.
The Plans and Payments team works behind the scenes to ensure a smooth experience for everyone involved in payment transactions. We are responsible for a set of mission-critical services and infrastructure and the proper handling of millions of dollars across thousands of daily transactions, and everyone is counting on us to deliver reliably and efficiently.
We work hand in hand with our Product, Revenue, Data, Customer Success, and Finance teams to improve our product. At the same time, we’re there to maintain compliance and cleanliness in our data and records and protect our bankrolls:
- We help our customers manage their payments and credits with us, and provide usage visibility and easy billing.
- We help our teammates in the Customer Success teams respond to customer inquiries, and help teams across our company have the tools and information they need to be able to act fast when our customers need help.
- We wrangle lots of details and even more numbers.
Our mission is to ensure that our customers recognize the value in our platform and can conveniently pay us in a way that feels aligned with that value. We do this by enabling customers to optimize the value of the CircleCI platform through usage transparency and easy billing.
Our team has been growing recently, and is going to continue growing further over the next months, to increase our ability to support our customers and internal stakeholders, as well as our fast growth as a company. We are in the process of shaping out the strategy for our further evolution as a team, and will be actively working towards growing our team to a point where we can become two teams, and are now looking for technical leaders who want to join us and shape such growth and evolution.
What You’ll Do:
We are looking for hands-on technical leaders who are excited about building user-facing pricing, billing and payment applications at scale, and supporting a fast-growing team. You’d work closely with senior leaders across your team, Product Management, and Engineering Management, on strategies to evolve our domain and team, and support your teammates every day in delivering user value and improving our systems.
To thrive in this role, you work well with distributed teams and enjoy close collaboration with team. You have a track record of helping teams deliver user value incrementally, and supporting your team in improving their delivery practices. You communicate with teammates in a respectful, flexible, and empathetic manner. You like working with Product and Design to find the best solution to the problem at hand. You balance technical tradeoffs with delivering customer value quickly and iteratively.
- Work on a cross-functional, collaborative, fast-moving distributed engineering team.
- Architect and build new services and features, simplify existing services, and scale our systems as we rapidly grow and evolve.
- Own and drive the technical analysis and scoping of new product discovery initiatives in partnership with the product manager and business stakeholders.
- Write scalable, observable, and fault-tolerant features in a microservice system.
- Develop strategy and follow through on implementation with your team.
- Gain exposure to 3rd-party payment systems.
- Collaborate with teammates through planning, breaking down investment plans into measurable increments of work, pair programming, and testing.
- Participate in on call rotation and assist internal stakeholders with managing customer plans.
- Regularly mentor and coach other engineers to expand their skills and support their career growth.
- Develop strategy and follow through on implementation with your team.
- Take ownership of your work.
What We're Looking For:
- Experience in backend software development and distributed systems using microservice architecture. Experience working on, or working closely with, payment processing systems and infrastructure is a plus.
- You enthusiastically approach everything from HTML/CSS to API design with the same level of respect and intention. You don’t need to be an expert in everything; T-shaped folks with an emphasis on frontend skills are ideal for these roles.
- Experience using functional programming paradigms
- Experience utilizing strong testing practices.
- Experience in the day-to-day practices of continuous delivery and agile development in a production environment, and experience using agile/lean development practices with a focus on incremental delivery and business value, and helping your team deliver more effectively.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills, and a strong desire to collaborate with your teammates across Engineering and Product, as well as with stakeholders across our entire company.
- Interest in fostering a learning culture on your team, as well as mentoring and coaching your teammates and supporting them in deepening their engineering skills. A curious mind and deep desire to learn something new every day.
- A desire to impact the future of our business by working on high exposure projects and tasks.
- Comfort with ambiguity and figuring things out with your team as they evolve, change, and new requirements emerge.
We’re Particularly Interested In People Who:
- Take ownership and accountability for their own, as well as their team’s work.
- Work transparently and collaboratively within a distributed team.
- Favor regular, incremental delivery over perfection.
- Strive for continuous learning and improvement for themselves and their teams.
- Are excited about ensuring that all of our systems—software and human—scale smoothly.
CircleCI Engineering Competency Matrix
This role will be for level E4 on our Engineering Competency Matrix, our internal career growth system for engineers. These are the minimum expectations for this position, but we are always willing to discuss bringing people on at more senior positions when appropriate. Read our blog post about the competency matrix to learn more.
Work remotely with our globally distributed team!
We’re a distributed company with teammates across the world. For this role, we are hiring engineers to work remotely in The United States and through our affiliate, Continuous Labs, in the following Canadian provinces: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island and Saskatchewan.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.