Overview of Role:
CircleCI is looking for an experienced front-end engineer to join the team continuously improving our new UI - both for our users, to make them more productive, and for our own engineering teams - to enable them to ship features with ease.
In this role, you’ll be a part of a small team of full-stack and front-end engineers distributed across the world, working together both synchronously and asynchronously. We have spent the last year leading the transition of our frontend codebase to a modern, TypeScript/React-based micro-frontend setup, and we are excited by the possibilities it gives us.
For this role, we are looking for engineers located in either Canada or Japan.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with our Product and Design folks on improving existing and adding new features.
- Roll out changes iteratively using feature flags and paying attention to user feedback.
- Care about performance and usability of our UI across the spectrum of our users, from simple one-job test suites to massive, elaborate CI/CD pipelines.
- Write TypeScript/React code backed by tests and storybooks in modern, recently created micro-frontends, with clear abstractions and well-defined responsibilities.
- Leverage and contribute to our Design System.
- Communicate with other teams involved in front-end work, continuously improving, standardizing, and documenting our micro-frontend toolset and practices.
- Spec changes to internal APIs needed for new UI features, so that they can be handed off to other teams.
- Occasionally, eat waffles wearing a hat.
You’ll do the above in a fully remote, highly distributed team, collaborating with folks who care about you as a person and respect your life outside of work.
We emphasize overcommunication and proper knowledge hand-offs, as at any given time some team members will be offline.
We aggressively limit our Work In Progress, often continuing work on a single feature across time zones, making it a team effort. It’s a great feeling to start your day and realize a feature you didn’t finish yesterday is already completed, tested, deployed, and making users’ experience better.
If you’re interested in what the team has been working on so far and how, find out more here:
- Introducing our redesigned UI: built for increased user productivity
- WAFL: a scalable MVP alternative
- How my distributed team communicates so no context is left behind
What we're looking for:
We’re looking for someone who enjoys collaboration, is curious and interested in learning, brings strong communication and teamwork skills, and helps others grow by sharing their expertise and encouraging best practices.
Below you can find a list of tools and practices we use - you don’t need to be experienced in all of them to apply!
- Pair programming, both synchronous and asynchronous
- Functional and reactive programming in TypeScript/React
- Next.js/Apollo/Emotion/Ramda for our GraphQL-powered micro-frontends
- Docker/Kubernetes/Helm for deployment
CircleCI Engineering Competency Matrix
This role equals level E3 on our Engineering Competency Matrix, our internal career growth system for engineers. These are the minimum expectation for this position, but we are always willing to discuss bringing people on at more senior positions when appropriate. Find more about the matrix in this blog post.
Join our distributed teams at CircleCI
We’re a distributed company with teammates across the world. We can support you working remotely anywhere in the US, Canada, Germany, Ireland, Japan, or the UK. For this role, however, we are focusing on candidates from Canada and Japan.
How to apply
Submit your application online via the Apply Now button. Please include a cover letter that describes why you're interested in working for CircleCI and summarize how your experience and career goals fit the qualifications for the position.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.