At CircleCI, we enable thousands of developers to do better work every day. We're looking for a senior software engineer to help us support and grow the backend systems that make it possible.
As a member of the Pipelines team, you’ll own micro-services related to customer build configuration (Orbs, for example), pipelines, and job status. You’ll also collaborate daily with talented colleagues distributed across North America and western Europe.
This is a full-time role in Canada, hired through our affiliate Continuous Labs and requires work during normal business hours in the Eastern time zone plus regular participation in our on-call support rotation. If you’re in the Toronto area, we hope you’ll work in our local office for some of your time.
What you'll do:
- Design and build new features, simplify existing services, and scale our systems while we rapidly grow and evolve.
- Write plenty of sustainable, testable, high-quality, high-performance code.
- Nurture a culture of observability and monitoring: use operational data to help your team improve the stability and performance of our systems.
- Partner with members of a cross-functional team and other stakeholders to set the direction of our platform and product: learn about our business problems, explore solutions, weigh design tradeoffs, create effective user stories, and prioritize them to deliver maximum value.
What we're looking for:
- You have 3+ years of professional experience building and debugging distributed systems in production environments.
- You write code that’s easily readable, testable, and maintainable, with an eye towards building in observability from the start.
- You’re comfortable using functional programming paradigms. (We use Clojure, but it’s fine if you haven’t yet.)
- You’re good at managing the ambiguity of a small, rapidly-growing company: adjusting to changing priorities, making conscious tradeoffs when guidance is limited and information is incomplete, and instituting best practices from scratch when needed.
We’re particularly interested in these habits and tendencies:
- You work transparently and collaboratively within a distributed team.
- You favor regular, incremental delivery of value over perfection.
- You’re excited about ensuring that all of our systems--software and human--scale smoothly.
- You strive for continuous learning and improvement for yourself and your team.
How to apply
If you’re interested in joining the team at CircleCI, please send a resumé and a cover letter describing what inspires you and why you think you are a good fit for the team. If you contribute to an open-source project, write a blog, or have a presence on the web (GitHub, Twitter, Stack, etc.) we would love to hear about it.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.
CircleCI Engineering Competency Matrix
This role equals level E3 on our Engineering Competency Matrix, our internal career growth system for engineers. These are the minimum expectations for this position, but we are always willing to discuss bringing people on at more senior positions when appropriate. Find more about the matrix in this blog post.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.