CircleCI is looking for a highly motivated and organized Chief of Staff to work directly with our CEO. As the Chief of Staff, you will work closely with our CEO to shape and drive our executive agenda and generate operational leverage. The Chief of Staff role is part internal strategy consulting, part team communications, part project management, and part special projects. You will be working with CircleCI team members across the spectrum, both internal and external to the company, from software developers to board members. You will have direct exposure to how growth companies operate and scale, and help put in and optimize the processes necessary to manage and accelerate that growth.
The Chief of Staff role is an excellent way to see, from the perspective of the executive team, how a growth stage company is built and run. You will see what works, and perhaps more importantly, what doesn’t, with the ability to directly impact and improve those decisions and processes. The Chief of Staff position is designed to be a 18-36 month position, and a stepping stone to a functional leadership role at CircleCI or another growth stage company.
What you’ll do:
Manage executive priorities to drive alignment
- Work with the CEO specifically around strategic planning and goal setting. This includes managing our quarterly OKR process, evaluating and honing weekly goals and objectives, knowing where to invest time and when to say no, establishing measurables to know when we’re making progress, clearly articulating agendas and outcomes for all meetings and constantly working to maximize the daily returns of our most perishable resource - time.
Organize and oversee executive team operations
- Oversee and continuously improve the operational playbook of the executive team. Setting weekly executive team agendas and priorities (and driving follow-through), organizing executive offsites and related output, managing board meeting prep, establishing and managing functional team reviews, and other key processes of the CEO and the executive team.
Manage internal and external CEO communications
- Organize and maintain an open channel of communications between the CEO and all key internal and external stakeholders. Activities include regular investor and board updates, company all-hands presentations, weekly all-company emails, conference presentations, working with the Corporate Communications team to ensure full support of their press and analyst efforts, and the like.
Spearhead special projects
- Define, manage and drive ad hoc special projects and initiatives - “known unknowns” - that don’t have a clear home in the internal functional groups. This could include things such as conducting research and discovery for new products, defining / building / hiring a new functional group until it’s able to run on its own, or similar type cross-functional initiatives. These projects are, by definition, ambiguous, and will require confidence to define, manage and get results.
Resourceful and strategic thinker
- You can analyze, interpret and draw insights from a wide variety of sources. You have excellent analytical skills and intuition to create order out of large amounts of seemingly contradictory information, and can clearly define a path forward. Very few things work as planned, so you are flexible and able to quickly and confidently change course on the fly and still achieve the desired outcome. You are able to embrace change and let go of mistakes while distilling out the key learnings.
- You are able to build relationships, clear obstacles and help the team achieve their goals. You have a strong sense of empathy to connect with people and their motivations, able to communicate open, honestly, and respectfully with team members at all levels while understanding what’s important and needs to be accomplished. You inevitably deal with difficult interpersonal situations, but are able to use your presence and people skills to help influence and achieve positive outcomes.
- You have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, in public and private contexts. You have the ability to take difficult or ambiguous concepts and communicate them clearly and concisely, across a variety of mediums.
Self-starter with a high tolerance for ambiguity
- The expanse of potential projects associated with the Chief of Staff role is wide, and the infrastructure to support these projects can be limited. It is impossible to be an expert in everything. When faced with something new, you have a positive, can-do attitude. You roll-up your sleeves, figure out what needs to happen, drive the process and own the results.
Excellent organizational and project management abilities
- You have proven abilities to track, prioritize and manage multiple concurrent projects and initiatives. You are able to seamlessly execute with minimal guidance.
Extensive professional experience in a strategic environment
- You have 3-7+ years experience in product management, venture capital, investment banking, corporate planning, management consulting, or similar role. Start-up experience a plus.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect" candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.
If you’re interested in joining the team at CircleCI, please send a resumé and let us know why you’d be a great fit for our team. If you contribute to an open source project, write a blog, or have a presence on the web (Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, etc.) we would love to hear about it.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in San Francisco with a globally distributed workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by Scale Venture Partners, Threshold Ventures (formerly DFJ), Baseline Ventures, Top Tier Capital, Industry Ventures, Heavybit, Harrison Metal Capital, Owl Rock Capital Partners, and NextEquity Partners.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.