Overview of Role
CircleCI is looking for an experienced engineer who cares deeply about data engineering and the platform that powers data science. As a staff-level member of the Insights team, you will work closely with product, security, SRE, and your data engineering teammates to build, test and rapidly iterate on the platform and tools at the heart of our business.
About the Team
The Insights team’s goal is to leverage our wealth of data to help our customers and ourselves make better engineering decisions. We provide the platform that powers our consumer-facing data-driven product features and our internal business intelligence. We’re an agile engineering team focused on rapid iteration and continuous delivery.
Here are a few things you’ll get to do in this role:
- Architect, implement, and maintain our data platform - including our data warehouses, data lakes, and big data infrastructure. This includes building ETL infrastructure, frameworks, and automation and help to support the jobs that run on it.
- Help us improve the reliability of our data platform through testing, observability, and monitoring.
- Build new services to help automate data ingestion and ETL processes.
- Work with billion-row datasets, petabytes of storage, and optimize complex data pipelines.
- Help support our Insights product engineering and Data Analytics teams through brainstorming, technical guidance, and occasionally collaborating on feature development
- Deep data engineering experience - managing data lakes, data warehouses, and working with batch and streaming data pipelines, specifically in the AWS data stack including tools like S3 and Athena.
- Experience writing, deploying, and operating high quality, well-tested, observable application code particularly with Python, Java, or Clojure.
- Experience with distributed, big-data, cloud-based architecture utilizing multiple tools, frameworks and technologies including Spark, Docker, Kubernetes, and the AWS data stack.
- Fluent in SQL with a strong understanding of data access and storage in theory and practice. Experience designing and documenting enterprise data models.
- Proven understanding of testing and its value in operating services at scale, and how to implement and maintain a high standard of testing in practice.
- Notable data security experience - experience anonymizing and generating obfuscated data sets, understanding of the principle of least access for securing data, technical understanding of encryption implementations, and identification and protection of PII
- Experience working on an agile development team, utilizing CI/CD to quickly deliver incremental improvements.
If you’re interested in joining the team at CircleCI, please send a resumé and cover letter describing what inspires you and why you think you are a good fit for the team. If you contribute to an open-source project, write a blog, or have a presence on the web (GitHub, Twitter, Stack, etc.) we would love to hear about it.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.
CircleCI Engineering Competency Matrix
This role equals level E4 on our Engineering Competency Matrix, our internal career growth system for engineers. These are the minimum expectation for this position, but we are always willing to discuss bringing people on at more senior positions when appropriate. Find more about the matrix in this blog post.
Further content that may be interesting for you:
- How to Get Hired at CircleCI
- How we interview engineers at CircleCI
- A Letter to Future CircleCI Employees
- How We Uphold Our Inclusive Values as a Global Team
Join our distributed teams at CircleCI
We’re a distributed company with teammates across the world. We can support you working remotely anywhere in the US or Canada.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in San Francisco with a global remote workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by Scale Venture Partners, Threshold Ventures (formerly DFJ), Baseline Ventures, Top Tier Capital, Industry Ventures, Heavybit, Harrison Metal Capital, Owl Rock Capital Partners, and NextEquity Partners.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.