CircleCI is seeking a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to work closely with our Software Engineers to deliver and manage the high-performance and scalable infrastructure underlying our multi-tenant Cloud offering as well as our Server-installed, on-premises solution. You will not only have the chance to automate and optimize infrastructure through the construction of appropriate tooling, but you will help software engineers through the design phase to optimize their services for scale in our production environment.
The CircleCI SRE team is globally distributed and remote-friendly. We take advantage of multiple timezones to manage a platform for our global customer base.
Working remotely at CircleCI
We’re a distributed company with teammates across the world. We can support you working remotely anywhere in Japan or in our office in Tokyo.
CircleCI is the best platform for software teams looking to rapidly build quality projects, at scale. Our intelligent continuous integration and delivery tools are simple yet powerful. Our aim is to provide the wisdom of a connected development ecosystem to every team member making technology decisions.
We run 12M+ builds a month on our platform for companies like Spotify, Kickstarter, Sony, and Coinbase. Over 25,000 organizations and 300,000 developers actively build, test, and deploy on CircleCI. We’ve raised $59.5M in venture capital from Industry Ventures, Top Tier Capital, Scale Venture Partners, DFJ, Harrison Metal Capital, and Baseline Ventures.
At CircleCI you will be part of a company that values trust, respect, diversity, and inclusion. We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users. We carefully consider every applicant who takes the time to apply.
We are a globally distributed team working towards the common goal of being the standard bearer for continuous integration and deployment software. We are looking for people who are interested in helping us shape software engineering best practices for the industry as a whole.
What will make you successful:
- Experience managing a container-based microservice architecture, including orchestration, service-discovery, monitoring, and debugging
- Understanding of standard networking protocols and components such as: TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, ICMP, the OSI Model, Subnetting, and Load Balancing
- In-depth knowledge of operating systems (processes, threads, IPC, concurrency, locks, mutexes, semaphores, etc.)
- Proficiency in one or more of: Go, Java, Python, C or C++
- Comprehensive knowledge of the internal workings of at least one of: Postgres, Mongo, Redis
- Systematic problem solving approach, coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive
- Track record of working cooperatively with software engineering teams
- Focus on security in the delivery of all levels of a system
- Passion for modern software development and operation, including agile, CI/CD, and infrastructure-as-code
- Desire to learn and grow
- 4+ years of experience
What you will do:
- Design and deliver solutions to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of CircleCI’s services
- Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, anticipating performance bottlenecks
- Diagnose and resolve production issues in conjunction with software engineering teams
- Implement shared infrastructure used by all services within the CircleCI platform
- Support and advise software engineering teams in the design of scalable services
- Build and maintain tools for deployment, monitoring, and debugging
- Plan and execute disaster recovery drills
- Participate in rotating on-call duties, including incident management
CircleCI Engineering Competency Matrix
This role equals level E3 on our Engineering Competency Matrix, our internal career growth system for engineers. These are the minimum expectations for this position, but we are always willing to discuss bringing people on at more senior positions when appropriate. Find more about the matrix in this blog post.
Further content that may be interesting for you:
- How to Get Hired at CircleCI
- A Letter to Future CircleCI Employees
- How We Uphold Our Inclusive Values as a Global Team
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect" candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.
If you’re interested in joining the team, please send us your resume and a cover letter explaining why you’d be a great fit. If you have an easily accessible presence on the web (Twitter, blog, GitHub, LinkedIn, etc.) please share it.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.