CircleCI is looking for an experienced software engineer with distributed systems experience to help us shape the future of our build execution platform.
In this role, you’d be part of a small, distributed team of back end engineers and SREs working on the software and infrastructure that powers the CircleCI build system. We’re a fast-growing company now often scheduling up to 3k jobs per minute. We’re running 12M+ builds per month – more than double compared to one year ago.
You would be working at the very core of our product, enabling hundreds of thousands of developers to do their work better every day. We’re looking for someone who’s curious to develop a deep understanding of our system and excited to solve challenging problems at scale while delivering new capabilities to our customers. If you want to write sustainable, resilient code in a team that values collaboration, trust, and learning, you may be the person we’re looking for.
Here are other aspects of what we’d need your help with:
- Improve our systems level tooling and programming to make our system more robust and reliable.
- Utilize containers, container orchestration, and virtualization, allowing us to scale our distributed fleet through our next growth phase.
- Collaborate with other engineering and support teams to solve our most complex operational challenges.
- Improve our architecture together with our engineering teams.
- Write high-quality, sustainable, high-performance code in Go.
- Help us shape how we design, release, and maintain microservices.
- Set the direction of our platform together with your team and product owners.
If you’re curious about the tools this team is using and how they’re working, find out more here:
We’re looking for someone who enjoys collaboration, is curious and interested in learning, brings strong communication and teamwork skills, and helps others grow by sharing their expertise and encouraging best practices. If this sounds like you, here’s the additional experience we’re looking for:
- Experience building and debugging distributed systems.
- Proficiency in one or more of Go, C++, or Python.
- An understanding of how to build observability into systems to ensure issues can easily be identified and fixed.
- Focused on delivering high-quality code through strong testing practices.
- Strong communication skills and a desire to learn and collaborate closely with your team in synchronous and asynchronous ways.
- Extra bonus points for experience with VMware ESXi or Windows Development/Windows containers.
We know there’s no such thing as an “ideal” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.
CircleCI Engineering Competency Matrix
This role equals level E4 on our Engineering Competency Matrix, our internal career growth system for engineers. These are the minimum expectation for this position, but we are always willing to discuss bringing people on at more senior positions when appropriate. Find more about the matrix in this blog post.
Further content that may be interesting for you:
- Further background information on our European expansion: We’re growing CircleCI’s engineering teams in Europe; join us!
- How to Get Hired at CircleCI
- How we interview engineers at CircleCI
- A Letter to Future CircleCI Employees
- How We Uphold Our Inclusive Values as a Global Team
Working remotely at CircleCI
We’re a distributed company with teammates across the world. We can support you working remotely anywhere in North America, Ireland, UK or Germany, and you also have the option to work out of our Toronto or San Francisco office.
At CircleCI you will be part of a company that values trust, respect, diversity, and inclusion. We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users. We carefully consider every applicant who takes the time to apply.
We are a globally distributed team working towards the common goal of being the standard bearer for continuous integration and deployment software. We are looking for people who are interested in helping us shape software engineering best practices for the industry as a whole.
We’re hiring at all experience levels, and seek talented teammates from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who are equally committed to cultivating a work environment of respect and kindness.
CircleCI is the best platform for software teams looking to rapidly build quality projects, at scale. Our intelligent continuous integration and delivery tools are simple yet powerful. Our aim is to provide the wisdom of a connected development ecosystem to every team member making technology decisions.
We run 12M+ builds a month on our platform for companies like Spotify, Kickstarter, Sony, and Coinbase. Over 25,000 organizations and 300,000 developers actively build, test, and deploy on CircleCI. We’ve raised $59.5M in venture capital from Industry Ventures, Top Tier Capital, Scale Venture Partners, DFJ, Harrison Metal Capital, and Baseline Ventures.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.