Engineering Manager (remote – United States, Canada)
CircleCI is looking for a technology leader who brings exceptional management skills to our growing engineering organization. We are looking for a leader well versed in managing engineering teams to guide our distributed teams as we scale and support them in continuously delivering business value. In this role, you will challenge and support our engineers with the individual in mind. Your primary focus is your team and the people in it, and we expect you to build a great culture with diversity, inclusion, action orientation, and openness as our core values.
About this role:
This role is a people management role focused on the development of engineers and team leads, business value delivery, and strategic work across a set of our cross-functional teams. Your recurring tasks and responsibilities include:
- Business value delivery: Ensure incremental value delivery and high-quality standards for teams you’re working with. Support these teams’ strategic work in collaboration with our Product organization.
- Learning and Development: Attract, onboard, and retain diverse top talent. Develop people and teams through coaching, mentoring, and management support. Conduct regular 1:1, goal setting, and feedback conversations with engineers to ensure their well-being and team health, and support them in their learning and development. Continuously work to improve inclusion and belonging on your team and within our organization.
- Process and Product: Maintain high levels of transparency, efficiency, and collaboration in collaboration with other development teams and Product Owners.
- Leadership: Advocate and promote leadership at all levels within the CircleCI engineering organization.
- Organizational work: Help us continuously improve and grow and build further support structures for our teams by driving broader organizational development and cross-cutting initiatives with the rest of our engineering management team.
- Technical work: Help grow the expertise of your teams in performance, reliability, resilience, scalability, maintainable architecture, and experimentation. We don’t expect you to write or review code on a regular basis, so this role may not be for you if you will deeply miss those things.
- People development: You have at least three years of experience building and leading software development teams and delivering working software together with them. Your experience includes hiring, as well as having engineers directly reporting to you and supporting them in their growth.
- Remote work: You bring experience working with distributed teams.
- Delivery: You are knowledgeable about modern software engineering practices and how to apply them in different teams. You believe in agile and lean values. You have a track record of using these methods in practice and continuously delivering business value.
- Leadership: You are a servant leader, an effective communicator and strong collaborator who emphasizes continuous learning, and you know what it takes to build strong, productive teams. You thrive on developing people and building inclusive teams.
- Learning: You bring action orientation and a drive to continuously improve the teams you work with.
- Communication: You’re an effective communicator and bring strong feedback skills to your teams. You’re proficient in English in verbal and written form.
We know there’s no such thing as an “ideal” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.
Distributed teams at CircleCI
We’re a distributed company with offices in San Francisco, Toronto, Japan, and teammates across the world. For this position, we are specifically looking for managers in the United States or Canada.
How we hire Engineering Managers
Over the last year, we have made some critical shifts in our understanding of what we believe makes a great engineering manager at CircleCI, and learned a lot about our needs and values as an organization along the way. We wrote about this evolution, and what our hiring process for engineering managers looks like now: What we've learned about hiring engineering managers.
Further content that may be interesting for you:
- How to Get Hired at CircleCI
- How we interview engineers at CircleCI
- A Letter to Future CircleCI Employees
- How We Uphold Our Inclusive Values as a Global Team
CircleCI is the best platform for software teams looking to rapidly build quality projects, at scale. Our intelligent continuous integration and delivery tools are simple yet powerful. Our aim is to provide the wisdom of a connected development ecosystem to every team member making technology decisions.
We run 12M+ builds a month on our platform for companies like Spotify, Kickstarter, Sony, and Coinbase. Over 25,000 organizations and 300,000 developers actively build, test, and deploy on CircleCI. We’ve raised $59.5M in venture capital from Industry Ventures, Top Tier Capital, Scale Venture Partners, DFJ, Harrison Metal Capital, and Baseline Ventures.
At CircleCI you will be part of a company that values trust, respect, diversity, and inclusion. We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users. We carefully consider every applicant who takes the time to apply.
We are a globally distributed team working towards the common goal of being the standard bearer for continuous integration and deployment software. We are looking for people who are interested in helping us shape software engineering best practices for the industry as a whole.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.