As a DevOps Customer Engineer at CircleCI, you will be responsible for providing world class post-sales technical leadership to our client base. Working directly with customers, you will be the subject matter expert on both the CircleCI platform and continuous integration and deployment as a general practice. You will be responsible for delivering value by driving adoption of CircleCI across the client’s enterprise.
The successful candidate for this job will have a strong technical aptitude along with a strong self-starting, proactive mentality as well as the ability to create and maintain deep, lasting relationships with customers. You’re going to be dealing with very technical users and complex issues, but you’re also tasked with creating excitement and loyalty in the customers you interact with.
About Customer Engineering at CircleCI
CircleCI’s Customer Engineering organization’s goal is to make life easier for our customers and leave them with the “wow” experience of building and testing their applications with ease. Customer Engineering works with customers to understand their technical and business needs and requirements—from onboarding to implementation to scale. Customer Engineering currently comprises Customer Success Engineering (your team), Solutions Engineering (your pre-sales counterparts), and Support Engineering. There is opportunity for both horizontal and vertical growth and promotion within as well.
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with customers to help them setup CircleCI, both on circleci.com and in their own private cloud, including any custom setup they may need
- Partner with your Customer Success Manager to onboard and support our customers as well as act as the dedicated technical point of contact
- Be creative and scrappy in solving customer technical problems and answering customer questions
- Build best practices for onboarding across different technologies
- Act as the voice of the customer and use customer feedback to help Product and Engineering improve the product
- Code and commit relevant upgrades and changes to the CircleCI codebase
- Work closely with the Product and Engineering teams to improve the customer experience across the whole platform
- Become an expert on the CircleCI solution
What we're looking for:
- 3+ years of technical product support, engineering, or experience deploying software in the enterprise
- Experience working directly with customers to debug common errors
- You can tie business problems to technical solutions and understand technology value propositions
- Demonstrated and proven capacity to quickly absorb new concepts and technologies
- You have spent a decent amount of time using and scripting *nix
- Git and GitHub knowledge required
- You’ve developed and maintained an app or two in a high-level programming language
- You believe that the best way for all to succeed is to honestly discuss product and company abilities and limitations with customers
- Strong ops / infrastructure knowledge, especially networking and security
- Great relationship building skills and a good people person
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Experience with build, test, and deployment automation, either as a practitioner or in a customer-facing role
- Ability to troubleshoot networking issues that may prevent communication between different components
- Working knowledge of Docker or Linux containers
- Experience with popular web app frameworks (e.g. Rails, Django) and/or mobile app development (iOS, Android)
- Knowledge of Go and Clojure a plus!
- Experience using and automating a major IaaS like AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Management of autoscaling technologies (e.g. launch configurations in AWS)
- Familiarity deploying and debugging distributed systems. Familiarity with Nomad, specifically, a plus!
How to apply
If you’re interested in joining the team at CircleCI, please send a resumé and cover letter describing what inspires you and why you think you are a good fit for the team. If you contribute to an open-source project, write a blog, or have a presence on the web (Twitter, Quora, Linkedin, etc.) we would love to hear about it.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect" candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in San Francisco with a global remote workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by Scale Venture Partners, Threshold Ventures (formerly DFJ), Baseline Ventures, Top Tier Capital, Industry Ventures, Heavybit, Harrison Metal Capital, Owl Rock Capital Partners, and NextEquity Partners.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.