Circle is a global financial technology firm that enables businesses of all sizes to harness the power of digital currency and public blockchains for payments, commerce and financial applications worldwide. Circle platforms and products provide a suite of internet-native financial services for payments, treasury infrastructure and capital formation. Circle is also a principal developer of USD Coin (USDC), which has become the fastest growing dollar digital currency in the world. USDC has grown to over 53+ billion in circulation and supported over $1.9+ trillion in transactions in the past year. Circle’s payments and treasury infrastructure services available through the Circle Account and APIs helps bridge the legacy financial system and digital currency and blockchain based finance. Circle’s SeedInvest service brings internet-native fundraising and capital formation to startups and growth companies. Combined, Circle’s suite of services helps companies to participate in a more open, global and inclusive financial system.
What you’ll be part of:
With the mission “To raise global economic prosperity through the frictionless exchange of financial value,” Circle was founded on the belief that the internet, blockchains and digital currency will rewire the global economic system, creating a fundamentally more open, inclusive, efficient and integrated world economy. We envision a global economy where people and businesses everywhere can more freely connect and transact with each other with new technologies for digital money and internet-native finance. We believe such a system can raise prosperity for people and companies everywhere. Our mission is powered by the values we espouse and which we expect all Circlers to respect. We are Multistakeholder, serving the needs of our customers, our shareholders, our employees and families, our local communities and our world. Furthermore, we are also Mindful, Driven by Excellence, and High Integrity.
What you’ll be responsible for:
Under the direction of the Assistant General Counsel, Corporate Governance & Employment, you will play an immediate and direct role in our ethics program, advising the company on a wide-range of ethics matters, overseeing the design, implementation and operation, driving ethics compliance goal setting and performance, and aligning and coordinating priorities and activities with functional stakeholders. In relation to becoming a public company, you will advise and implement public company policies, including an ESG program.
What you'll work on:
- Developing, leading, managing and maintaining a world class global ethics function, including driving program objectives, milestones, metrics and reporting to continually enhance and scale the ethics programs.
- Partnering with our Risk and Talent teams, preparing, maintaining and regularly assessing policies, procedures, and controls to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, including anti-corruption, competition, conflicts of interest, insider trading, and gifts, meals & entertainment.
- Advising Company stakeholders on comprehensive public company policies, including ESG program, and supporting the implementation and maintenance thereof.
- Providing training and mentoring worldwide on compliance with the Company’s ethics program, code of business conduct, and other related policies/procedures.
- Conducting, overseeing and providing support in connection with internal investigations.
- Proactively identifying ethics compliance risk areas and strategies to mitigate them.
You will aspire to our four core values:
- Multistakeholder - you have dedication and commitment to our customers, shareholders, employees and families and local communities.
- Mindful - you seek to be respectful, an active listener and to pay attention to detail.
- Driven by Excellence - you are driven by our mission and our passion for customer success which means you relentlessly pursue excellence, that you do not tolerate mediocrity and you work intensely to achieve your goals.
- High Integrity - you seek open and honest communication, and you hold yourself to very high moral and ethical standards. You reject manipulation, dishonesty and intolerance.
What you’ll bring to Circle:
- 10+ years of legal experience with a strong knowledge of:
- Development and management of an effective ethics program, including relevant laws, regulations, and industry standards; and
- Broad policy-making and compliance experience, including implementation of Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC) tools and systems.
- Public company policy and compliance matters, including ESG programs.
- Experience working with and presenting to SVP-level leadership and board of directors.
- You are passionate about financial technology and the disruptive potential of cryptocurrency and blockchains, are a team player with a sense of humour, and enjoy learning but also mentoring.
- You are comfortable working in an evolving and growing environment that is prone to changes, and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- You apply sound, practical business judgment to your legal recommendations, and are creative at solving problems while balancing important legal risks for the business.
- You can work autonomously and independently with minimal guidance but are also comfortable working collaboratively as part of a team.
- You have a JD (or foreign equivalent degree) and active membership in at least one US State Bar. Prior in-house experience for at least 5 years a must, including public traded companies.
- Experience/familiarity with Slack, Apple MacOS and GSuite.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.