Chronosphere is the provider of the only observability platform that puts engineering organizations back in control by taming rampant data growth and cloud-native complexity, delivering increased business confidence. Teams at startups to well-known global brands in the Fortune 500 around the world trust Chronosphere to help them operate scalable, highly available and resilient applications.
Chronosphere is looking for trailblazers who are experts in their space and are passionate about creating meaningful solutions for engineers and digital businesses.
Chronosphere is a series C startup with more than $343M in funding and a $1B+ valuation. We’re a remote-first company, backed by Greylock, Lux Capital, General Atlantic, Addition and Founders Fund.
About the role
Our product is an industrial-scale software-as-a-service observability platform, and you will be designing and implementing parts of our core distributed storage services, responsible for handling millions of telemetry records per second. You will work on hard distributed systems and data storage problems, building a highly available storage engine where you need to optimize for heap memory vs stack allocated memory, CPU efficiency, disk I/O usage, and network ingress/egress efficiency. The time series database and supporting distributed storage services (real-time aggregator, query engine, etc) are the backbone of our product, and your work will determine its scalability and reliability.
- Design, implement, and test enhancements to our core time series database built on M3 and supporting distributed services (real-time aggregator, query engine, etc), using Go on managed Kubernetes (GCP/AWS).
- Build operational tooling for the code you write, and work with our cloud infrastructure team to manage your code in production.
- Collaborate with product and platform engineering to design features that leverage capabilities of the time series database.
What you will achieve
In the first month, you will build a deep understanding of Chronosphere’s platform and begin contributing to the product. You will have time to learn about the space, our customer’s needs, and the underlying technology.
Within 90 days, you will have shipped several enhancements to distributed storage services and contributed to designs shaping the overall direction of the system. You will be a core contributor to storage services and will become a go-to person in one or more areas of the system.
- The ability to independently own projects from inception to delivery (i.e. plan and gather requirements, collaborate with Product)
- Pre-existing experience on how to build high scale systems and experience with building sophisticated application services
- A passion for growing and up-leveling your peers, and have pre-existing mentoring experience and a nuanced view around how to help junior engineers grow
- Deep background in distributed systems or storage layer programming. You will be working on low level problems such as query engine optimization, on-disk data indexing, or data replication, and need to come to the role with a background in similar types of problems
- Strong skills in a system level language such as Go, C++, Java, C#, or Rust. Knowing a specific language isn’t important; what matters is that you’ve become fluent in one by spending a lot of time in the types of projects where these languages are used
- Experience operating highly available systems in production. We don’t just ship software - we also run a service on behalf of our customers. You’ll need to know how to do this effectively: where to place instrumentation to get the best understanding of your code’s behavior in production, how to debug distributed systems under load, and how to reproduce issues that might seem to only manifest in production workloads
- A flexible, collaborative working style. We’re a small team working in a rapidly evolving space, and we’re looking for people that will help build a positive, supportive environment
- Health Insurance Coverage
- Free Lunches
- Unlimited Vacation Time
- Competitive Salary
- Stock Options
- And More
Chronosphere is an equal opportunity employer. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't line up exactly with the job description. Your skills, passion, and desire to make a difference will stand out. At Chronosphere, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge the standard. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com