Chronosphere, a platform for the future
Chronosphere is an early stage startup building an innovative observability platform for cloud native applications. Chronosphere enables customers to develop and operate reliable cloud native applications: with the ability to quickly identify problems and their causes; simply, affordably and at scale.
The Chronosphere platform is built on the open source M3 metrics platform and Jaeger distributed tracing platform- both developed at Uber Technologies, and proven in production at petabyte scale. The Chronosphere observability platform integrates both technologies into a single seamless solution, allowing users to jump straight from issue detection to root cause in a single click. The platform is delivered as a SaaS service that is easy to adopt and scale with customer needs.
About the role
Our product is an industrial-scale software-as-a-service observability platform, and you will be designing and implementing the core of our open source distributed time series database, responsible for handling millions of writes per second. You will work on hard distributed systems and data storage problems, building a highly available storage engine where you need to optimize for every byte in memory, every disk I/O, and every network packet. The time series database is the backbone of our product, and your work will determine its scalability and reliability.
- Design, implement, and test enhancements to our core time series database built on M3, using Go on Kubernetes/GCP/AWS
- Contribute to ongoing development of open-source M3, and help shape the direction of the M3 open source project
- Build operational tooling for the code you write, and work with our cloud infrastructure team to manage your code in production
- Collaborate with product and platform engineering to design features that leverage capabilities of the time series database
What you will achieve
In the first month, you will build a deep understanding of Chronosphere’s platform and begin contributing to the product. You will have time to learn about the space, our customer’s needs, and the underlying technology.
Within 90 days, you will have shipped several enhancements to the time series database and contributed to designs shaping the overall direction of the system. You will be a core contributor to internal enhancements and M3 open source, and will become a go-to person in one or more areas of the system.
- Deep background in distributed systems or storage layer programming. You will be working on low level problems such as query engine optimization, on-disk data indexing, or data replication, and need to come to the role with a background in similar types of problems
- Strong skills in a system level language such as Go, C++, Java, C#, or Rust. Knowing a specific language isn’t important; what matters is that you’ve become fluent in one by spending a lot of time in the types of projects where these languages are used
- Experience operating highly available systems in production. We don’t just ship software - we also run a service on behalf of our customers. You’ll need to know how to do this effectively: where to place instrumentation to get the best understanding of your code’s behavior in production, how to debug distributed systems under load, and how to reproduce issues that might seem to only manifest in production workloads
- A flexible, collaborative working style. We’re a small team working in a rapidly evolving space, and we’re looking for people that will help build a positive, supportive environment
Reporting to Matt Mihic, Global Head of Engineering
Matt is the Head of Engineering at Chronosphere, where he’s responsible for ensuring the team is building the right thing, in the right way, with the right support. Before Chronosphere, he led engineering at Okta, Square, and Uber, bringing them through their early and hyper growth phases. He joined Chronosphere having previously built the observability organization at Uber, where he experienced first-hand the business needs that led to M3. Outside of work, he spends his time cooking, dog fostering, and enjoying life in New York.
- Health insurance coverage
- Free lunches
- Commuter Benefits
- Unlimited Vacation time
- Competitive Salary
- Stock options
Chronosphere is an equal opportunity employer. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't line up exactly with the job description. Your skills, passion, and desire to make a difference will stand out. At Chronosphere, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge the standard. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com