Chronosphere is on a mission to redefine monitoring for the cloud-native world by building the world’s most scalable, reliable and cost efficient monitoring platform. Chronosphere’s product is built on top of the proven at scale metrics engine, M3, which was developed and open sourced by the founding team while they were at Uber.
Chronosphere is looking for trailblazers who are experts in their space and are passionate about creating meaningful solutions for engineers and digital businesses.
Chronosphere is a series B startup with more than $55M in funding and backed by VC firms Greylock, Lux Capital General Atlantic, and investor Lee Fixel. The team is distributed with major hubs in New York, Seattle and Vilnius.
About the role
You will design and implement core back-end services of our industrial-scale software-as-a-service observability platform, and help shape the direction of our platform service architecture. Chronosphere is a critical part of our customer’s availability, and you will be working on the types of hard problems that would be considered infrastructure at many other companies.
- Design, implement, and operate high volume services in Go on top of Kubernetes/GCP/AWS
- Build operational tooling for the code you write, and work with cloud infrastructure engineers to manage your code in production
- Contribute to the direction of the product, and help evolve the overall platform architecture to meet product and scale needs
- Refine the way we build and release the platform by contributing to build systems, test frameworks, deployment tools and monitoring
What you will achieve
In the first month, you will build a deep understanding of Chronosphere’s business and platform and begin contributing to the product. You will have time to learn about the space, our customer’s needs, and the underlying technology.
Within 90 days, you will have shipped several enhancements to the platform and contributed to designs shaping the overall direction of the architecture. Over time you will implement new services and may become the go-to person for a part of the platform, or range across the system and contribute to multiple areas.
- The ability to independently own projects from inception to delivery (i.e. plan and gather requirements, collaborate with Product)
- Pre-existing experience on how to build high scale systems and experience with building sophisticated application services
- A passion for growing and up-leveling your peers, and have pre-existing mentoring experience and a nuanced view around how to help junior engineers grow
- Deep knowledge of what’s required to build and operate highly available systems at scale. Our customers rely on Chronosphere to manage the reliability of their businesses, and their uptime is only as good as our own
- Excellent skills in a system level language such as Go, C++, Java, C#, or Rust. Knowing a specific language isn’t important; what matters is that you’ve become fluent in one by spending a lot of time on the types of projects where these languages are used
- Strong interest in how things get built, and not just what features we ship. We are always trying to make engineering at Chronosphere better, and we need people that have a fundamental interest in constantly improving the way we build, test, deploy, and operate our platform
- A flexible, collaborative working style. We’re a small team working in a rapidly evolving space, and we’re looking for people that will help build a positive, supportive environment
Reporting to Elenore Bastian, Engineering Manager
Elenore is the Engineering Manager for the Platform team and is responsible for making sure the right things get delivered! She is also responsible for providing growth opportunities, psychological safety, and a fostering healthy, happy culture for her reports. Before Chronosphere, Elenore worked as an engineer and consultant at Pivotal Labs and then moved to managing teams building out Kubernetes tooling at VMware. Outside of work, Elenore spends time watching reality TV and trail running around the Pacific Northwest.
- Health insurance coverage
- Free lunches
- Commuter Benefits
- Unlimited Vacation time
- Competitive Salary
- Stock options
Chronosphere is an equal opportunity employer. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't line up exactly with the job description. Your skills, passion, and desire to make a difference will stand out. At Chronosphere, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge the standard. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org