Chronosphere, a platform for the future
Chronosphere is an early stage startup building an innovative observability platform for cloud native applications. Chronosphere enables customers to develop and operate reliable cloud native applications: with the ability to quickly identify problems and their causes; simply, affordably and at scale.
The Chronosphere platform is built on the open source M3 metrics platform and Jaeger distributed tracing platform- both developed at Uber Technologies, and proven in production at petabyte scale. The Chronosphere observability platform integrates both technologies into a single seamless solution, allowing users to jump straight from issue detection to root cause in a single click. The platform is delivered as a SaaS service that is easy to adopt and scale with customer needs.
About the role
You will design and implement core back-end services of our industrial-scale software-as-a-service observability platform, and help shape the direction of our platform service architecture. Chronosphere is a critical part of our customer’s availability, and you will be working on the types of hard problems that would be considered infrastructure at many other companies.
- Design, implement, and operate high volume services in Go on top of Kubernetes/GCP/AWS
- Build operational tooling for the code you write, and work with cloud infrastructure engineers to manage your code in production
- Contribute to the direction of the product, and help evolve the overall platform architecture to meet product and scale needs
- Refine the way we build and release the platform by contributing to build systems, test frameworks, deployment tools and monitoring
What you will achieve
In the first month, you will build a deep understanding of Chronosphere’s business and platform and begin contributing to the product. You will have time to learn about the space, our customer’s needs, and the underlying technology.
Within 90 days, you will have shipped several enhancements to the platform and contributed to designs shaping the overall direction of the architecture. Over time you will implement new services and may become the go-to person for a part of the platform, or range across the system and contribute to multiple areas.
- Deep knowledge of what’s required to build and operate highly available systems at scale. Our customers rely on Chronosphere to manage the reliability of their businesses, and their uptime is only as good as our own
- Excellent skills in a system level language such as Go, C++, Java, C#, or Rust. Knowing a specific language isn’t important; what matters is that you’ve become fluent in one by spending a lot of time on the types of projects where these languages are used
- Strong interest in how things get built, and not just what features we ship. We are always trying to make engineering at Chronosphere better, and we need people that have a fundamental interest in constantly improving the way we build, test, deploy, and operate our platform
- A flexible, collaborative working style. We’re a small team working in a rapidly evolving space, and we’re looking for people that will help build a positive, supportive environment
Reporting to Matt Mihic, Global Head of Engineering
Matt is the Head of Engineering at Chronosphere, where he’s responsible for ensuring the team is building the right thing, in the right way, with the right support. Before Chronosphere, he led engineering at Okta, Square, and Uber, bringing them through their early and hyper growth phases. He joined Chronosphere having previously built the observability organization at Uber, where he experienced first-hand the business needs that led to M3. Outside of work, he spends his time cooking, dog fostering, and enjoying life in New York.
- Health insurance coverage
- Free lunches
- Commuter Benefits
- Unlimited Vacation time
- Competitive Salary
- Stock options
Chronosphere is an equal opportunity employer. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't line up exactly with the job description. Your skills, passion, and desire to make a difference will stand out. At Chronosphere, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge the standard. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com