Chroma Medicine is pioneering a new class of genomic medicines that harness epigenetics, nature’s innate mechanism for gene regulation, revolutionizing the treatment of genetically driven diseases. As a start-up genomic medicine company with world-leading scientific founders, strong investment backing including Newpath Partners and Atlas Venture, and experienced leadership, Chroma is positioned to be the leader in epigenetic editing.
The epigenome is nature’s gatekeeper for gene expression, governing cell phenotype and function by precisely controlling gene activity without changing the underlying DNA sequence. Building on groundbreaking research from the world’s foremost genomic medicine experts, Chroma Medicine is working at the cutting edge of precision genomics, building an entirely new class of therapeutics to achieve unparalleled control of gene expression.
We are hiring at our Boston, Massachusetts site, offering a unique opportunity to be part of our foundational Chroma team.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking a highly motivated and resilient scientist with expertise in molecular biology, assay development, and lab management to lead production efforts in the NGS team. The ideal candidate will have a track record of success in scaling up NGS technologies and assays, and consistently producing high-quality data. The candidate will be responsibile for establishing and running an NGS production to facilitate Chroma’s effort in developing epigenome editing therapeutics. The position will work closely with diverse and cross-funtional teams to support sequencing projects, so good organizational and communication skills are a must.
- Coordinate NGS production activities to fulfill sequencing needs to advance our epigenome editing platform.
- Optimize NGS production workflows and systems to streamline the production process by scaling up with automation, establishing SOPs, and communicating with other teams.
- Work both independently and as part of collaborative teams to execute assays that support development activities, project goals, and platform development, such as methyl-seq, RNA-seq, amplicon sequencing, etc.
- Troubleshoot NGS experiments to ensure assay robustness and generation of high-quality data.
- Work with the R&D team to transfer the developed tech and optimized process to production scale.
- Meet established timelines, maintain accurate records of work, and present data at team, departmental and company-wide meetings.
- Participate in lab organization and contribute to data tracking and management using ELN and LIMS
- PhD. with 1-3 years or B.S./M.S. with 8+ years of relevant experience in developing and managing NGS assays and workflows with a degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, genetics, or related disciplines.
- Extensive experience in NGS assay development and implementation, such as methyl-seq, RNA-seq, amplicon sequencing, single-cell sequencing, etc.
- Hands-on experience with Illumina short-read sequencers.
- Proficiency in molecular biology techniques including DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, RT-qPCR, gel electriphoresis, fluorescence assays, etc.
- Team-oriented mindset with ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Passionate, adaptable, and keen on working in the fast-paced biotech startup space.
- Detail oriented and self-motivated, with excellent problem solving and organizational skills.
- Experience operating an NGS production lab.
- Experience with PacBio or ONT long-read sequencers.
- Experience in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry.
- Experience leading project teams and working with external partners.
- Epigenetics, chromatin biology, gene editing, and/or transcriptional regulation knowledge a plus.
Chroma Medicine is an equal opportunity employer, providing equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender identity, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Chroma Medicine complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: All Chroma Medicine team members must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. This requirement includes a booster dose once eligible. Requests for exemptions for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs will be considered.