Chief is changing the face of leadership. Our mission: build the most powerful network focused on connecting and supporting women leaders. Our members are VP and C-level executives across every industry who are leading their companies today and building a more equitable tomorrow. Chief was recently recognized as one of Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies of 2021, and you can read more about us in Forbes or watch us on the Today Show.
Launched in early 2019, Chief is a Series B stage start-up backed by General Catalyst, Inspired Capital, Primary Ventures, CapitalG, and other top-tier investors. The Chief network includes 12,000+ members from across the United States. We are headquartered in New York City with additional Flagship spaces in Los Angeles, Chicago, and, soon, San Francisco.
We are tech-powered. Our members make meaningful connections, engage in compelling discussions, and view our unique content through our digital platform. Our Product and Technology teams are building the future of that platform, with data and insights at its heart.
About the Role:
The Director of Programming is a high-profile and critical role in both our brand and events department at Chief. This role is instrumental in establishing our strategy, development, and execution for our speaker, conversations, workshops and other programming for our live virtual events. This person will also play an integral role in developing the content of our inaugural Chief Conference in 2023 and beyond.
Chief has welcomed A-list speakers including Michelle Obama, Stacey Abrams, Gloria Steinem, Sara Blakely, Indra Nooyi, Tina Fey, Amal Clooney, Gwyenth Paltrow, and workshops led by professors from Harvard, Stanford, and Cambridge, and topics including operationalizing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace, negotiation, personal branding and more.
This role will lead in contributing ideas, identifying talent, and developing our live content verticals across all of Chief’s markets. This role will report directly to the Sr. Director of Events and will work in close collaboration with our larger programming team, brand team, producers and event managers to bring our virtual and in-person events to life.
What you’ll do:
- Direct and define the goals and objectives for all Chief programming — including a regular cadence of speakers of workshops, as well as our upcoming annual conference.
- Develop our speaker and programming strategies to bring a revolving door of talent and topics to the member experience designed for senior executives specifically with the end goals of member satisfaction and retention, and brand awareness
- Play an integral role in developing the content for our upcoming in-person conference
- With a pulse on industry and leadership trends, you’ll Ideate and develop a compelling virtual event slate.
- Manage, maintain and ensure efficiency with the programming budget
- Develop, maintain and evolve departments KPIs
- Oversee speaker’s experience from outreach, contract negotiation, satisfaction, and overall partnership.
- Maintain and develop relationships with publicists, agents, and speakers to ensure that Chief has the best talent at timely moments throughout the year.
- Work with our marketing lead to oversee event communications. Giving guidance to frame event topics and to attract attendance and support sales goals.
- You’ll host and emcee some of our live content and develop content associated with hosting duties, including introduction scripts and live Q+A facilitation.
- Work collaboratively with our events managers and producers who oversee and support event production
- Helping to upkeep database and master calendars up to date
- Ability to work with remote teams to scale programs as we launch in new markets.
- This role has a significant "on-air" member facing presence and will be responsible for hosting, moderating and facilitating conversations with speakers
What you’ve done and enjoy doing:
- Proven experience in building content with a keen eye towards business & skill building topics for an executive audience
- Background in live journalism with experience interviewing subjects and developing questions
- Has experience in hosting and/or moderating conversations with speakers and talent
- Experience in designing engaging content on a range of topics
- Proven experience in in-person or virtual event production
- Deep understanding of and passion for Chief’s mission and existing community and the passion to help grow and further this as we grow
- Extraordinary relationship building skills
- Willing to work flexible hours including early mornings and late evenings due to a consistent events schedule
- Curious, with a pulse on culture, brands, and trends in events, you are no stranger to deep research spirals on Wikipedia, YouTube, podcasts, blogs, and more.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, with strong project management skills and the ability to prioritize and multitask
- Self-motivated, strategic creative worker with a drive for executional excellence, always looking beyond the available options when up against roadblocks
- A strong contributor in a high growth environment, no task is too big or too small. You are constantly thinking about iterating on our systems by asking "how can we do this better?"
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite Products is a must
- Knowledge of Zoom, Airtable, Slack, Salesforce, and Notion are a plus
Why You'll Want to Work Here:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flexible vacation policy and 4.5 day work weeks
- 20 weeks of paid gender neutral parental leave
- Full medical, dental, and vision packages, 401(k)
- Opportunity to work for a startup focused on driving real change for women in business
- Opportunity to create and attend inspiring experiences and events with leaders of the industry
- Access to our ongoing virtual Chief member exclusive content, including workshops, thought leadership, and iconic speakers
While we’re committed to remaining compliant and adhering to mandates, for us, pay transparency is more than a consideration of what’s lawful and unlawful but rather, an opportunity to disclose what’s required, and what we think is a fair and equitable compensation framework.
At Chief, we want to hire, develop, and retain the best talent, making Chief a top destination to accelerate your career. Our compensation framework is a key part of our vision, and we continually revisit and invest in our philosophy and framework to ensure we remain competitive and relevant, on a quest to achieve our vision.
The pay transparency mandates, as well as our own policies and practices, are a means of narrowing the gender pay gap and fostering an engaged and positive working environment that builds trust, on our mission to change the face of leadership.
The base salary for this role is: $180,000