Senior Backend Engineer Job Description
Chefman is one of North America’s leading, award-winning brands of small kitchen appliances. We are in love with great food and we are inspired to empower ordinary people all over the world to create restaurant quality dishes while enjoying an easy-to-follow and user-friendly experience.
About CHEF iQ
The CHEF iQ® journey began in 2017 with the simple idea that cooking should be approachable and enjoyable for all. Our team of master Hardware, Software, and Firmware Engineers, along with our expert designers, Culinary and Video professionals are working tirelessly to create an unrivaled cooking experience that seamlessly combines software and hardware to elevate the art of cooking. The result — an ecosystem of unparalleled culinary intelligence that lives in the cloud and the mobile app, connected to a Smart Cooker™ that can turn any ingredient into art.
We are seeking a Senior Backend Engineer who will bring a deep passion and love of technology, along with excellent analytical skills and an innovative mind to contribute towards building the backend infrastructure for the state-of-the-art CHEF iQ® mobile application that will revolutionize the kitchen of the future and the CHEF iQ Console, which is our Core System supporting the work of our Culinary, UX and Firmware Teams working on CHEF iQ®.
This role will be based out of the Chefman office located in Mahwah, NJ. Salary is commensurate with candidate’s experience and successes.
• Collaborate with UX, Culinary, Video, Firmware, Software, and Hardware Engineering Teams to review requirements, design, configure and deploy new services
• Contribute to architecture, instrumentation and performance design decisions and carrying out POCs whenever required
• Produce well designed, high quality and reusable code by applying design patterns and best practices in software development for agility, reliability, and scalability of the services
• Proactively monitor performance and system health with observability and AWS tooling.
• Automate our infrastructure deployment and configuration management pipelines and create tooling so we can all work faster.
• Refactor code base from time to time to improve performance, reliability, and maintainability of the services
• Design and expand on SQL and NoSQL database schema
• Participate in code reviews
• Carry out testing and debugging
• Participate in daily standups and weekly sync-up meetings with stakeholders
• Participate in sprint planning sessions by reviewing goals and grooming stories.
• Scale architecture with modern technologies leveraging the AWS platform
• Effectively connecting to a culture of delivering high quality content around the brand vision
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or another related field
• 5+ years of experience with a least one static language (e.g. Java, C/C++) and at least one dynamic language (e.g. Ruby, Python)
• 5+ years designing and implementing RESTful APIs using microservice architecture
• 5+ years of experience designing, building, and deploying solutions utilizing AWS services such as EC2, S3, RDS, DynamoDB, SQS, Route 53, Lambda, IAM, ECS and API Gateway
• Mastery of multiple modern platforms such as Git, AWS, Jenkins, Puppet, Chef, Salt, Travis, Ansible, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, CloudFormation, IAC, etc.
• Proficient knowledge on SQL and NoSQL databases
• Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals and design patterns
• Proficiency in a Unix/Linux environment and experience working with CLI
• Experience with testing frameworks such as Jest, Mocha, Jasmine, and Chai
Desired Skills and Experience
• Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• 5+ years designing and implementing GraphQL APIs using microservice architecture
• AWS Cloud and/or Terraform certifications and trainings
• Familiarity with React