About Chefman & CHEF iQ
Chefman is one of North America’s leading brands of small kitchen appliances. We are on a mission to exceed expectations with our commitment to building best-in-class products to cook the food we all love. We are hard at work to realize our vision of crafting the world’s most desired kitchen appliances.
In 2020, we launched the CHEF iQ brand, an ecosystem of connected kitchen appliances. Our mission for CHEF iQ is to enable the world to express their inner chef by making the kitchen experience seamless and transforming how the world connects through food. With our connected appliances and guided cooking intuitive experience, we are seeking to redefine cooking as we know it, making great food effortless in an immersive digital experience.
We are seeking a skilled and passionate Assistant Food Stylist to join our Chefman team in the Photography department. This individual will be reporting to the Food Stylist and will assist the Photography team as needed. This position is full-time in-house at our corporate office in Mahwah, New Jersey.
The Assistant Food Stylist will be working closely with the Food Stylist and the in-house shopper to coordinate all the necessary food and prop orders to execute each shot after gaining a clear understanding of the desired foods, styling, color palette, props, and outcome. You will test recipes in advance of shoot to ensure complete understanding of recipes as needed from a technical and visual standpoint. You will order and organize all the groceries for the shoots and are expected to prep and prepare the necessary foods for the shoots. You will ensure all the food and possible garnishes are purchased and on set ready for the Food Stylist the day of the shoot; you can note and prepare if certain items can be made ahead of time (such as certain baked goods).
The Assistant Food Stylist must be aware that cooking food by following a recipe exactly the way it is, is completely different than food styling. You will prepare recipes and versions of the food to be used on shoot days. You must pay attention to recipe ingredients, how to cut things a certain way, what can be prepared ahead of time vs what cannot, what ingredient must be omitted vs added, etc. You are expected to be able to oversee upkeeping the kitchen and prop inventory making sure everything is in stock, kept clean, and is well-organized.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of kitchen and prop rooms
- Upkeep of kitchen and prop inventory
- Assist Food Stylist with any necessary tasks and projects
- Prop cleaning and gathering
- Ordering and organizing groceries for the shoot
- Prepping/preparing food for the shoots
Skills and Experience
- Strong culinary background
- Excellent knife skills
- Culinary degree
- Ability to multitask and complete responsibilities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Sharp attention to detail
- Ability to anticipate needs and challenges before they arise and have a plan in place
- Excellent time management skills
- Passionate about food
- Team player
- Experience with assisting in food styling is a plus