About Chefman & CHEF iQ
Chefman is one of North America’s leading brands of small kitchen appliances. We are on a mission to exceed expectations with our commitment to building best-in-class products to cook the food we all love. We are hard at work to realize our vision of crafting the world’s most desired kitchen appliances.
In 2020, we launched the CHEF iQ brand, an ecosystem of connected kitchen appliances. Our mission for CHEF iQ is to enable the world to express their inner chef by making the kitchen experience seamless and transforming how the world connects through food. With our connected appliances and guided cooking intuitive experience, we are seeking to redefine cooking as we know it, making great food effortless in an immersive digital experience.
We are seeking a skilled and passionate Assistant Food Stylist to join our Chefman team in the Photography department. This individual will be reporting to the Food Stylist and will assist the Photography team as needed. This position is based out of our corporate office in Mahwah, New Jersey.
The Assistant Food Stylist will be working with the Food Stylist to coordinate and purchase all the necessary food orders to execute each shot after gaining a clear understanding of the desired foods, styling, color palette, props, and outcome. Your main responsibilities will be to order/organize all the groceries for the shoots and assist the Food Stylist.
When you are not shopping, you are expected to prep and prepare the necessary foods for the shoots as well as maintain the kitchen and prop/food inventory. You will ensure all the food and possible garnishes are purchased and on set ready for the Food Stylist the day of the shoot; you can note and prepare if certain items can be made ahead of time (such as certain baked goods). You will be involved in any pre/post-production tasks as needed.
This individual must be aware that cooking food by following a recipe exactly the way it is, is completely different than food styling. You will prepare recipes and versions of the food to be used on shoot days. You must pay attention to recipe ingredients, how to cut things a certain way, what can be prepared ahead of time vs what cannot, what ingredient must be omitted vs added, etc. You are expected to be able to oversee upkeeping the kitchen and prop inventory making sure everything is in stock, kept clean, and is well-organized.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Grocery Shopping for Photography team
- Track food inventory to reduce duplication and save money
- Consolidate grocery lists and shop for ingredients requested by the Photography team
- Pick photo-quality food/items and understand what makes one piece of produce more aesthetically pleasing than another
- Go to multiple stores (when necessary) to get the most visually appealing food/items
- Drive into New York City once a week for specialty items
- Understand what replacements make sense when something is not available
- Communicate with team members when there are questions about ingredient(s) or any food order(s)
- Must have excellent sense of time management and know when the groceries are needed in order to plan grocery delivery by requested time regardless of multiple shopping trips
- Assist Food Stylist in food preparation and styling
- Work with Food Stylist to gain a clear understanding of the desired foods, styling, color palette, props, and outcome
- Ensure all the food and possible garnishes are purchased and on set ready for the photographer and food stylist the day of the shoot; research recipe reference photos to determine proper garnishes/sides/proteins/etc.
- If necessary, test recipes in advance of shoot to ensure complete understanding of the recipe from a technical and visual standpoint.
- Coordinate and prepare recipes and versions of the food to be styled on shoot with the appropriate individuals
- Assist on set where needed; provide prop and garnish suggestions, wash dishes, organize food/prop inventory, launder dish towels, clean kitchen, etc.
Skills and Experience
- Strong culinary background
- Excellent knife skills
- Culinary degree
- Ability to multitask and complete responsibilities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Sharp attention to detail
- Ability to anticipate needs and challenges before they arise and have a plan in place
- Excellent time management skills
- Passionate about food
- Team player
- Experience with assisting in food styling is a plus