About Chefman & CHEF iQ
Chefman is one of North America’s leading brands of small kitchen appliances. We are on a mission to exceed expectations with our commitment to building best-in-class products to cook the food we all love. We are hard at work to realize our vision of crafting the world’s most desired kitchen appliances.
In 2020, we launched the CHEF iQ brand, an ecosystem of connected kitchen appliances. Our mission for CHEF iQ is to enable the world to express their inner chef by making the kitchen experience seamless and transforming how the world connects through food. With our connected appliances and guided cooking intuitive experience, we are seeking to redefine cooking as we know it, making great food effortless in an immersive digital experience.
About the Role
At Chefman & CHEF iQ, we understand that the only way to realize our ambitious visions to craft the most desired kitchen appliance products and to redefine the art of cooking is by assembling extremely high caliber designers to join our existing talented product teams. The design and user experience is essential to the success and engagement with our products.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Industrial Designer who will play a key role in developing the aesthetics, ergonomics, and user experience of the Chefman and Chef IQ brands. This highly creative individual should be able to think outside the box while understanding the constraints of design. Applying thoughtful and strategic thinking through the design process while being able to take constructive feedback and work collaboratively across the organization.
This role will be based out of our office located in Mahwah, New Jersey and will report to the Design Director.
Role & Responsibilities
- The Industrial Designer will be a member of the Product and Experience Design Team and must work closely with UX/UI Designers to create a holistic experience
- The Industrial Designer must work closely with the Culinary & Product Development Teams to observe, test, and analyze the function of the products
- The Industrial Designer must also understand human behavior and human ergonomy in the kitchen.
- The Industrial Designer must be able to create a written and visual report under the Chef or Design Director's supervision and present it to the Product and Experience Design Team members as well as the Product Development Teams
- Design and develop new products through strategic thinking and process
- Assess user experience associated with the user logic and interaction of the product
- Ideate product aesthetics associated for the form, color, and design language
- Identify and problem solve end user needs through user testing
- Apply research and insights to design, ensuring functionality, user experience and aesthetics are on brand with Chefman/CHEF iQ’s core philosophy
Required Skills and Experience
- Possess a Bachelor or Master’s degree in Industrial Design
- 5-10 years of experience within consumer product design arena
- Possess an exceptional portfolio which demonstrates the process of the design thinking process and design methodologies
- Strong working proficiency in 3D Cad modeling (Rhino, Fusion 360, Solidworks, and similar programs) and Rendering skills (Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Keyshot, 3DMAX, and similar programs)
- Strong visualization skills from quick hand drawing to full presentation
- Possess the ability to translate the user need, user research insights, business needs, technical realities, and brand identity into a final product
- Have a strong prototype making skill with different types of material
- Take ownership of the development process
- Ability to work cross-functionally and collaborate with teams with minimal supervision
- Demonstrate an initiative and ability to complete projects in a timely fashion
- Possess the ability to multi-task and manage multiple objectives
- Possess excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Strong attention to detail
- A finger on the pulse of today’s trends and can pivot direction as needed
- Very technologically and design savvy
Desired Skills & Experience
- Experience in electronic product development is preferred
- Experience specifically working with small kitchen appliances and LCD screen design
- Experience or enthusiasm working in an energetic and driven startup environment