Cheddar is the leading post-cable news, media, and entertainment company and currently broadcasts two live video news networks: Cheddar, a business news network covering the most innovative executives, founders, products, and technologies transforming our lives and economy; and Cheddar Big News, a fast-paced, young, non-partisan general news and headline news network.
The company broadcasts from the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange, its street level studio in the glass corner of the Sprint Store in the Flatiron Building, WeWork in Los Angeles, and the White House.
Cheddar was founded by Jon Steinberg, President and Chief Operating Officer of BuzzFeed from 2010 to 2014. Its investors include Lightspeed Venture Partners, Raine Ventures, Goldman Sachs, Liberty Global, Comcast Ventures, AT&T, Amazon, Antenna Group, Ribbit Capital, The New York Stock Exchange, Altice USA, 7 Global Capital, and Denstu Ventures.
About This Role:
Cheddar is looking for enterprising, creative reporters who can break exclusive news on the most competitive beats in tech and business.
These desired areas of coverage include (but are not limited to) companies reshaping the future of transportation, gaming and esports industries, venture capital, hedge funds and the future of retail and e-commerce. The ability to cover these areas through the lens of their dominant players — whether it be Amazon’s reshaping of the retail sector or Tesla’s impact on other car makers — is a must.
The ideal candidate has a proven track record of breaking original stories and providing smart analysis that will be relevant to Cheddar’s hyper-curious, business-savvy audience. This person has excellent news judgement and knows how to find unique approaches to covering a crowded beat.
This role requires someone who can be equally comfortable with writing and appearing on camera. Exclusive stories should be impactful enough to command the attention of other news organizations. The ideal candidate will already know how to develop sources on a beat and can demonstrate a thorough understanding of best journalistic practices and ethics.
- Deliver a reliable stream of exclusive, impactful reporting that’s communicated through text and video.
- Give regular on-air analysis and commentary related to news on your respective beat.
- Occasionally interview executives and industry newsmakers on your respective beat.
- At least two to three years of experience at an established news publication.
- A proven track record of delivering original, exclusive reporting on at least one of the following beats: transportation, gaming, retail, cannabis, or a big tech company like Google.
- Experience with business and financial news coverage. You should be able to analyze and contextualize a company’s quarterly earnings results.
- Ability to write crystal-clear copy efficiently and quickly.
- Ability to effectively communicate on-camera in a fast-paced, live news TV environment.
- A passion for breaking news and a collaborative spirit.
Our Benefits and Culture:
The Cheddar team moves at lightning speed and our employees have the opportunity to make an extraordinary impact. We are growing fast and achieving milestones every day. Our team is direct, relentless, ethical, proactive, and different. All of our full time employees receive a competitive compensation and benefits package, which includes stock options, health, dental, and vision insurance, disability and life insurance, 401K, discounted gym membership, commuter benefits, generous paid leave, drinks and snacks, team events, happy hours, and more.
Cheddar is an equal opportunity employer, and we actively cultivate an inclusive workplace that celebrates diversity. We welcome all candidates and are committed to hiring people with a wide variety of experiences and backgrounds. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.