Cheddar is the leading post-cable news, media, and entertainment company and currently broadcasts two live video news networks: Cheddar, a business news network covering the most innovative executives, founders, products, and technologies transforming our lives and economy; and Cheddar Big News, a fast-paced, young, non-partisan general news and headline news network.
The company broadcasts from the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange, its street level studio in the glass corner of the Sprint Store in the Flatiron Building, WeWork in Los Angeles, and the White House.
Cheddar was founded by Jon Steinberg, President and Chief Operating Officer of BuzzFeed from 2010 to 2014. Its investors include Lightspeed Venture Partners, Raine Ventures, Goldman Sachs, Liberty Global, Comcast Ventures, AT&T, Amazon, Antenna Group, Ribbit Capital, The New York Stock Exchange, Altice USA, 7 Global Capital, and Denstu Ventures.Cheddar is looking for a creative, driven, and experienced Segment Producer to put together guest notes, questions, scripts, and visual elements a two-hour live daily news show, as well as occasional special projects. The candidate will have experience working in live news, with an expertise in writing scripts and building show rundowns.
About This Role:
You have a sophisticated knowledge of national news, entertainment, politics, and pop culture, including the business mechanisms that drive each. You have a working knowledge of—or interest in—business, tech, media, and consumer names, and an instinct for what’s trending. A sense of humor is non-negotiable.
The candidate must also be able to write concise scripts and have experience in a live environment. You need to be able to work in a high-pressure environment and produce under tight deadlines. You should also have experience writing short-form text pieces, based on your research for guests. The successful candidate must be a self-starter and an independent worker. At the same time, he or she must be adaptable and flexible, a team player who is able to mix easily into and work effectively in our small, scrappy, and highly collaborative team.
As with any job in the news industry, candidates should be capable of handling a demanding schedule which sometimes includes early mornings, nights, or weekends.
- Generating exceptional story ideas, reacting to breaking news and developing creative story angles
- Produce guest interview segments for an hour of live news programming
- Build show graphics and elements in rundown software
- Write scripts for live programming
- Write short-form articles to supplement guest segments.
- Coordinate with Executive Producer to make great editorial decisions -- with a keen eye on technology, culture & media
- Participating in social media and achieving an active rapport with viewers
- Experience in entertainment, political, or national news journalism and live production
- Knowledge of news video/TV production
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Strong grammar, copy editing and communication skills
- Familiarity with SEO, RSS, Twitter, Facebook and other social media
- Did we mention sense of humor? We did. But we really mean it.
Our Benefits and Culture:
The Cheddar team moves at lightning speed and our employees have the opportunity to make an extraordinary impact. We are growing fast and achieving milestones every day. Our team is direct, relentless, ethical, proactive, and different. All of our full time employees receive a competitive compensation and benefits package, which includes stock options, health, dental, and vision insurance, disability and life insurance, 401K, discounted gym membership, commuter benefits, generous paid leave, drinks and snacks, team events, happy hours, and more.
Cheddar is an equal opportunity employer, and we actively cultivate an inclusive workplace that celebrates diversity. We welcome all candidates and are committed to hiring people with a wide variety of experiences and backgrounds. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.