Cheddar is the leading post-cable news, media, and entertainment company and currently broadcasts two live video news networks: Cheddar, a business news network covering the most innovative executives, founders, products, and technologies transforming our lives and economy; and Cheddar Big News, a fast-paced, young, non-partisan general news and headline news network.
The company broadcasts from the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange, its street level studio in the glass corner of the Sprint Store in the Flatiron Building, WeWork in Los Angeles, and the White House.
Cheddar was founded by Jon Steinberg, President and Chief Operating Officer of BuzzFeed from 2010 to 2014. Its investors include Lightspeed Venture Partners, Raine Ventures, Goldman Sachs, Liberty Global, Comcast Ventures, AT&T, Amazon, Antenna Group, Ribbit Capital, The New York Stock Exchange, Altice USA, 7 Global Capital, and Denstu Ventures.
About This Role:
Cheddar is looking for a driven sales leader with experience in place-based or digital out of home media sales. Based in New York, this role is responsible for driving new business, managing sold partnerships, and growing accounts on the CheddarU network. CheddarU, formerly MTVU, is a network of 1,600 screens on 600 campuses located in gyms, cafeterias, and student unions. The network has a Nielsen rated average minute audience of 39,000 18-24 year olds making it the largest millennial college cable channel in the U.S. and the #1 digital out of home network among A18–24. (More info here: https://www.wsj.com/articles/streaming-service-cheddar-targets-college-students-after-acquiring-mtv-campus-network-1527793750)
The right candidate must have experience selling and managing branded partnerships on digital platforms and understand the entire sales cycle from RFP through renewal. The candidate must have and be able to develop relationships with clients and out-of-home media agencies.
This position is well suited to an individual who thrives in a fast-past, dynamic start-up environment. The ideal candidate will bring energy and passion to everything he/she does, and will not be afraid to roll up his/her sleeves to tackle projects both big and small.
- Prospect new clients, including the ability to qualify and close new accounts
- Build and manage a CheddarU sales team
- Effectively prepare for and manage business meetings
- Strategically and creatively build sales pipeline and maintain a high level of activity
- Act as quarterback on all touchpoints for sold programs: lead client status calls, recap calls, work closely with Cheddar Producers to ensure a seamless delivery and best in class account management
- Effectively work with functional groups such as Sales, Data & Analytics and Content team to optimize campaigns to meet performance objectives
- Proactively monitor campaign performance and delivery goals, escalate delivery issues as necessary
- Track, optimize, and compile campaign analysis and custom recap reports for clients
- Contribute and improve team resources such as sales and process materials
- BA/BS (or equivalent training and experience)
- MUST have 5+ years’ experience in digital place based or out of home media
- Familiarity with Cheddar – content, distribution partners, business model.
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication ability
- Superior customer service skills
- Highly proficient at Keynote and PPT
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- High level of attention to detail, excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize demands and meet deadlines
- Ability to thrive and be highly effective in a fast-paced and fluid environment, as well as situations of ambiguity and uncertainty (We’re a startup, come up with an approach to solve the challenge rather than just state it.)
Our Benefits and Culture:
The Cheddar team moves at lightning speed and our employees have the opportunity to make an extraordinary impact. We are growing fast and achieving milestones every day. Our team is direct, relentless, ethical, proactive, and different. All of our full time employees receive a competitive compensation and benefits package, which includes stock options, health, dental, and vision insurance, disability and life insurance, 401K, discounted gym membership, commuter benefits, generous paid leave, drinks and snacks, team events, happy hours, and more.
Cheddar is an equal opportunity employer, and we actively cultivate an inclusive workplace that celebrates diversity. We welcome all candidates and are committed to hiring people with a wide variety of experiences and backgrounds. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.