Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr’s product has shifted the on-demand economy and has landed on Forbes' 'Next Billion-Dollar Startups 2016' List. As a company that provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups, Checkr knows first hand how difficult it may be for individuals with prior criminal history to find employment and we want to help provide second chances for the formerly convicted. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
Checkr is looking for a driven Associate Legal Counsel with contracts and litigation experience to join our dynamic legal team. You will work closely with Checkr’s legal team to support multiple projects across departments. We are looking for a self-starting problem-solver who can work both collaboratively and autonomously and roll up their sleeves when necessary to get the job done.
- Assist in all aspects of litigation, including discovery, case preparation, tracking and communication of case-related dates and information, and the review and preparation of documents, reports and correspondence
- Track, manage and report on current, active litigation and claims
- Review and negotiate NDAs, vendor and commercial agreements, with an understanding of when to escalate to an attorney
- Coordinate all aspects of contract management, including routing for signature, distribution, development and maintenance of contracts database
- Assist with improving standard form agreements and scaling contract management processes
Compliance and other:
- Conduct legal research and analysis on various state and federal laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act and comparable state laws
- Assist in the development of compliance policies, procedures, and trainings
- Design, build and maintain processes, workflows and trainings that can scale to keep up with our fast growth
What you bring:
- JD degree and a member in good standing of the California Bar
- Minimum 1-3 years of legal experience, preferably in-house or at a large law firm
- Collaborative team player with excellent interpersonal skills and a good sense of humor
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented with superior organizational and administrative skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously in order to complete tasks accurately, on schedule, and with minimal supervision
- Flexibility and willingness to learn and work on a broad variety of legal matters with enthusiasm
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we leverage the latest technology
- Hands-on coaching and professional development
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement – a true meritocracy
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history (in accordance with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance as well as state and/or federal laws).