Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr’s product has dominated the on-demand economy and has landed on Forbes' 'Next Billion-Dollar Startups 2016' List. As a company that leverages disruptive technology to deliver modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups, Checkr knows first hand how difficult it is for individuals with prior criminal history to find employment and we want to help provide second chances for the formerly convicted. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join the Internal Efficiency team. Our team builds product features and internal tooling that drive greater operational efficiency for other Checkr teams. An average day might be spent analyzing criminal record datasets, improving report accuracy algorithms, building full-stack workflows for internal users or shadowing an Operations team member to understand the next set of problems you will solve.
We are seeking someone who has a strong technical background, who is passionate about driving new features from inception through release, who relishes learning and enhancing existing codebases and who makes it their mission to design internal processes to scale Checkr’s background check processing.
Checkr was founded by engineers for engineers; we want to create the best environment for developers to build, learn and love their work.
What a typical week may look like at Checkr
- Collaborating with Product and Operations to develop tools and streamlining workflows for to improve background check processing
- Solving nuanced problems through analysis of existing data to project impact of proposed features
- Writing technical specifications and proposals for architectural or system-level changes
What we value in a Software Engineer:
- 5+ years experience as a software engineer
- Strong collaborator, capable of understanding interests and promoting consensus across different departments. You can sell your insights and initiatives to Engineering, Operations and Product.
- A pragmatic problem solver well-versed in considering and making technical tradeoffs
- Deep experience with a full-stack framework (e.g. Rails, Django, Elixir, etc.)
- You use testing to build and ship quality features
- Academic background in computer science or equivalent (BS or MS)
- Experience using data exploration tools to facilitate product decisions
- Experience with microservices
- Experience with scrum or other agile development
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we leverage the latest technology
- Hands-on coaching and professional development
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement – a true meritocracy
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history (in accordance with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance as well as state and/or federal laws).