Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr’s product has shifted the on-demand economy and has landed on Forbes' 'Next Billion-Dollar Startups 2016' List. As a company that provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups, Checkr knows first hand how difficult it may be for individuals with prior criminal history to find employment and we want to help provide second chances for the formerly convicted. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
Checkr is looking for a Head of Communications to own and advance our public relations objectives. You will work alongside the marketing team, the CEO and our PR agency to drive strategy and execution with the aim of increasing visibility of Checkr’s offering and mission to the broader public. The right candidate will possess a mix of strategic thinking, creative messaging and an exceptional ability to collaborate and communicate. An ability to align various stakeholders on approach and messaging will be key.
- Manage the relationship with Checkr’s external PR agency and ensure that they deliver on agreed upon initiatives
- Work with our CEO and marketing team to understand the story we are trying to bring to market
- Work cross functionally to understand holistically the way we are bringing the Checkr vision and mission to fruition
- Own strategy and tactics for our public facing communication channels including social media
- Establish and maintain strong direct relationships with key members of the media
- Educate key stakeholders internally on media interactions and how to deliver the Checkr story
- Measure the effectiveness of communications delivered & iterate accordingly
What you bring:
- 7+ years of Public Relations experience with a mix of agency and in-house experience
- Experience managing large-scale, high-visibility, strategic initiatives for clients
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills - able to simplify complex topics in a friendly and approachable manner for both executive and end-user audiences
- Flexibility, learning agility, and ability to juggle and complete multiple priorities and projects (internally and externally) in a fast-paced environment
- Strong ability to influence without direct authority
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Experience and interest in startup environments; knowledge of the startup space
- BS/BA degree
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we leverage the latest technology
- Hands-on coaching and professional development
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement – a true meritocracy
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history (in accordance with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance as well as state and/or federal laws).