Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by designing technology to create opportunities for all. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation
Checkr is looking for an exceptional Engineering Manager to lead our Monetization Payments team. This team is responsible for improving our customer experience by delivering better and more robust invoices, providing convenient payment methods, and developing global invoicing capabilities. You will be challenged to work with your PM to discover good payment partners to integrate with and making our solution work globally.
What a typical week may look like at Checkr
- Analyze qualitative and quantitative data to drive product, technical, and team improvements
- Represent the team in planning and product meetings
- Work with the team to reduce technical debt and sustainably scale our architecture
- Optimize engineering processes and policies to drive velocity and quality
- Partner closely with product throughout the PLC to build new features and enhance existing ones
- Partner closely with our data vendor to prioritize technical and product enhancements
- Mentor and develop the careers of team members varying in seniority and experience
- Advocate for Checkr engineering and management at industry events
- Hire and grow the team
What you bring
- 2-5 years as an engineering manager
- 3+ years of programming experience in Python, RoR, or equivalent languages
- Strong technical skills and debugging skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Strong skills in critical thinking, decision making, problem-solving, and attention to detail
- Experience managing quality incidents as both a technical lead and communication lead
- Experience working on products at scale, and understanding the data, legal, human impact, and technical nuances of supporting highly regulated products
- Deep understanding of service architecture and system design
- Deep understanding of lean software development principles
- Ability to make high-level prioritization decisions quickly and thoughtfully
- Backbone to make tough decisions when necessary
- Care about your teammates and able to develop inclusive teams to foster growth and diversity
- Ready to mentor the team to grow by providing stretch assignments and opportunities relevant to their interests
- Humility, openness to feedback, and eagerness to learn
The base salary for this position will vary based on geography and other factors. In accordance with Colorado law, the base salary for this role if filled within Colorado is $176,800-$208,000.
What you get
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Up to 25K reimbursement for fertility, adoption, and parental planning services
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.