Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by designing technology to create opportunities for all. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $4.6B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
Reporting to the General Counsel, you will lead Checkr’s policy initiatives and partner closely with Checkr’s customers to identify opportunities for collaboration on trust and safety, public records access, fair chance hiring, and the future of work. You will identify opportunities for proactive engagement with policymakers at all levels, while also evaluating the impact of new laws on Checkr and its customers. You will ensure the company is involved in public policy issues that potentially affect its interests, reputation, and business and will also help identify and address emerging public policy issues and related risks that could affect Checkr or its customers.
- Develop and implement creative policy and regulatory strategies to support Checkr’s business and further its mission
- Partner closely with Checkr’s customers to identify shared policy priorities and lead collaborative efforts to achieve those priorities
- Prepare written materials for Checkr and its customers to assist in advocacy efforts
- Develop the company’s relationships with policymakers and stakeholders, including non-profit organizations, business trade associations, and other allies
- Manage external lobbyists and consultants
- Partner closely with the internal business teams, including legal, marketing, and communications to develop Checkr’s policy positions and thought leadership pieces
What you bring:
- 10+ years of experience in government affairs or government relations
- Advanced degree (M.P.P., J.D., M.P.A.) preferred but not required
- Proven track record of advancing policy initiatives by developing creative campaigns and building support through diverse coalitions
- Ability to connect key business issues and competitive drivers to public policy matters and obtain value to advance the business interests and reputation of the company
- Demonstrated ability to operate at both strategic and tactical levels
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to work with lawyers, policymakers, business teams, and customers to make complex concepts easy to understand
- Excellent judgment and attention to detail
- Collaborative team player with a good sense of humor
- Self-starter who is flexible and able to organize, prioritize and complete multiple priorities and projects (internally and externally) in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to learn quickly and take on challenging new projects with enthusiasm
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
The base salary for this position will vary based on geography and other factors. In accordance with Colorado law, the base salary for this role if filled within Colorado is $181,050 - $213,000.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.