Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving understanding of the past. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $2.2B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include, Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
Our Senior Backend Engineers work on the core logic of our background check engine. There are opportunities to work on micro-services, API design, NLP, OCR and more.
As part of the Continuous Safety program, you will be focused on building products that enable an ongoing relationship between employers and employees. You will work on building a differentiated post-hire experience that enables companies to maintain on-going trust and safety rather than a one-time pre-hire screening at the time of onboarding.
What a typical week may look like at Checkr:
- Own the product development of features from ideation, design, implementation, to release
- Build new features for Checkr within the whole web stack from the database to the front end
- Deliver performant, reliable, scalable, and secure code
- Demonstrate expertise in at least one or two areas where you can drive technology (e.g. micro-services, API design, TDD, NLP, infrastructure, open source software)
- Building shared code, with an eye for developer experience - reusability, readability, modularity, documentation, etc
- Spearhead adoption of best practices for the entire team to improve code quality and velocity and provide mentorship to junior engineers
What we value in a Senior Backend Engineer:
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Knowledge of REST API best practices
- External API integration experience
- Experience with queueing architectures
- Proficiency in Ruby or Python
- TDD experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Experience with microservices
- Familiarity with Ruby on Rails, Sinatra and Grape
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
*The base salary for this position will vary based on geography and other factors. In accordance with Colorado law, the base salary for this role if filled within Colorado is $121,380-$142,800.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history (in accordance with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance as well as state and/or federal laws).