Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr’s product has served the on-demand economy and has continued to scale into serving enterprise companies across various industries. As a company that provides modern and compliant background checks, Checkr knows firsthand how difficult it may be for individuals with prior criminal histories to find employment, and we provide our customers with the technological tools to adopt fair hiring practices. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people, and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
Checkr is looking for a motivated and experienced attorney with a litigation background to join our dynamic legal team.
As Litigation Counsel, you will work closely with Checkr’s internal and external clients at every level to advise on litigation and compliance issues related to consumer reporting and employment laws. You will also partner with internal teams as they build out policies and procedures that evolve with changing business models. You are a self-starter who is solutions-orientated and looking to join a highly collaborative legal department.
- Assist in all aspects of litigation, including discovery, case preparation, tracking and communication of case-related dates and information, and the review and preparation of documents, reports and correspondence
- Track, manage and report on current, active litigation and claims
- Supervise and manage relationships with outside counsel, including directing strategy for litigation
- Conduct legal research and analysis on various state and federal laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act and comparable state laws
- Understand, interpret and apply current law and regulations as applicable to Checkr and its future business models
- Design, build and maintain compliance policies, procedures, workflows and trainings that can scale to keep up with our fast growth
- Contribute to cross-functional teams as a trusted advisor, creative problem-solver and strategic thinker
What you bring:
- 5+ years of legal experience, preferably in-house or at a large law firm
- JD degree and admission to California Bar (or ability to practice in-house in California)
- Knowledge of Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”), related employment laws, or criminal law is a plus, but not required
- You’re an educator -- You can easily break down complicated laws and regulatory frameworks into understandable and approachable language
- You’re a skeptic -- You have a passion for truly understanding how things work, and the first answer you find is rarely enough
- You’re a clear communicator -- You are effective in a fast-paced environment where you give quick, clear, and practical legal advice
- You’re flexible -- You are willing (and enthusiastic) about learning and working on a broad variety of legal matters
- You have a great sense of humor -- Obviously
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we leverage the latest technology
- Hands-on coaching and professional development
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement – a true meritocracy
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.