Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr’s product has shifted the on-demand economy and has continued to scale into serving enterprise companies across various industries. As a company that provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups, Checkr knows first hand how difficult it may be for individuals with prior criminal history to find employment and we want to help provide fair chances for the formerly convicted. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
This position will report to the General Counsel and will be an instrumental member of the team to chart strategic business opportunities with government, as well as interface directly with state and local government leaders. The Director of Policy will help develop and communicate the company’s position on current and proposed state and local policies, communicate the trust and safety benefits of our services to public sector decision-makers, and lead the company into new data partnership. This is a heavily outward-facing and strategic role that will help the company succeed in a dynamic regulatory environment, with both proactive and reactive measures.
Qualified candidates should have an interest in criminal court records and fair chance.
- Set and carry out the policy and advocacy agenda for Checkr
- Evaluate, prioritize and refine the strategic path for new market entry
- Analyze and engage on legislative, regulatory, and other policy proposals
- Prepare written materials to assist with advocacy efforts
- Develop the company’s relationships with policy-makers and stakeholders, including non-profit organizations, business trade associations, and other allies
- Manage lobbyists and consultants; advocate on behalf of Checkr to policy-makers and stakeholders
- Liaise with customers on policy issues and coalition-build based on business and policy needs
- Work closely with Legal & Comms teams to help achieve the company’s policy objectives
- BA in relevant field (MPP, MPA, or JD or other advanced degree preferred) and evidence of exceptional ability
- 10+ years of experience in government affairs, and working at a high level within government venues and proven track record of advancing policy initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to operate at both strategic and tactical levels
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to work with lawyers, regulators, business teams and colleagues to make complex concepts easy to understand
- Excellent judgment and attention to detail
- Collaborative team player with a good sense of humor
- Self-starter who is flexible and able to organize, prioritize and complete multiple priorities and projects (internally and externally) in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to learn quickly and take on challenging new projects with enthusiasm
- Availability to travel up to 35-50% of the time depending on business needs
All Checkr employees enjoy the following:
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Gym membership and commuter benefits
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.