Checkr's mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr's product has shifted the on-demand economy and has continued to scale into serving enterprise companies across various industries. As a company that provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups, Checkr knows first hand how difficult it may be for individuals with a prior criminal history to find employment and we want to help provide fair chances for the formerly convicted. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
We are seeking a dynamic design leader to champion Product Design and User Research at Checkr. As Head of Design at Checkr, you will lead a talented team of research and design experts in their quest to bring beautiful, usable, human-centered products and features to life. If you're passionate about connecting job seekers to new employment opportunities and making a positive impact on millions of people across the country, this is the role for you. From concept to launch, we need someone who will be a champion for the people who use our services, while bringing cohesion and elegance to our growing suite of background check services. You will be responsible for ensuring excellence in design execution and managing a portfolio of projects and product initiatives in a fast-paced, mature startup environment. This position involves leading the in-house product design and research team while coordinating with product management, software engineering, customer success, and the executive team to prioritize and balance design goals with business and technical objectives. You will be a key member of the product leadership team, reporting directly to the VP of Products.
- Lead product design user research functions, collaborating with stakeholders around the company to accomplish business goals while enabling Checkr to use its brand and product design as a key differentiator.
- Empower your team members to proactively lead iteration cycles with stakeholders and push designs forward according to the team’s vision and understanding of the business goals. You will have to take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- Be highly communicative and responsive both within your team and to stakeholders across the company while managing a volume of ongoing projects. This will also include driving the design team philosophy through the executive layer of the company.
- Maintain and further build design team workflows that ensure that all designs delivered are in line with our Brand guidelines and Design System and high-quality standards.
- Gauge fluctuations in the business need and maintain the hiring and resource plan and budget for the team. Design a team to incorporate the Checkr’s mission and its impact on the product set.
- Empower and mentor designers on your team, fostering a collaborative, productive, and positive environment within a growing team.
- Establish a strong creative point of view that balances shorter-term product design needs with longer-term investments in platform usability and scalability.
- Incorporate qualitative and quantitative research approaches, harnessing the power of generative, validate, and usability research. Leverage data in any decision-making.
- Demonstrate how systems-thinking, process governance, and component standardization can help scale your team, the products, and the company brand
- 8-10+ years of experience as a design leader across multiple disciplines including User Research, Product Design, and Brand Design.
- Experience with B2B software or applications with multiple user touch-points on different platforms and devices with direct experience on mobile. This will require a specific focus on products have a consumer interaction, so B2B2C experience is strongly preferred.
- Relentless desire for innovation and driving high standards, balanced with business needs and customer expectations
- You must be pragmatic and have the ability to empower and manage teams of Designers, UX Researchers, and Creatives
- Ability to consider long-term sustainability in all design decisions and maintain an eye for reusability in designs.
- Strong communication skills with a keen ability to champion the best ideas and pushback on beliefs with integrity and respect.
Bonus Points ++
- Experience creating and maintaining federated design systems at scale, in partnership with engineering.
- Demonstrate a portfolio of work with a proven track record for solving difficult UX design problems and simplifying difficult requirements to intuitive interfaces for customers.
- MBA, Ph.D. or Master’s degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent.
What You Get (‘The Perks’)
- The opportunity to play a key role at a quickly-growing, mission-driven company
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we experiment with and leverage the latest tools, methods, and technology
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement in a true meritocracy
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.