Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr’s product has shifted the on-demand economy and has continued to scale into serving enterprise companies across various industries. As a company that provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups, Checkr knows first hand how difficult it may be for individuals with prior criminal history to find employment and we want to help provide fair chances for the formerly convicted. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
Checkr is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead our shared services team, which builds services that multiple engineering teams are dependent on. Examples of shared services are integrations for different communications (email, SMS, etc), full-text search on candidate information, maintaining webhooks such as an infrastructure service. The main goal for the team is around reliability: our background checks impact millions of people in real life and therefore the output of our engine has to be robust. Behind the scenes, we embrace micro-services as the best way to isolate everything and selecting the right tool for the job. We also love asynchronous architectures and building RESTful APIs. Checkr was founded by engineers for engineers; we want to create the best environment for developers to build, learn and love their work.
What a typical week may look like at Checkr:
- Optimizing engineering processes and policies
- Representing the team in planning and product meetings
- Planning and implementing hiring strategies to attract talent
- Advocate for Checkr engineering and management at industry events
- Mentoring and career development with team members
- Design, implement and scale our microservice architecture
What you bring:
- 4+ years as an engineering manager
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Experience building microservices architecture
- Able to develop inclusive teams to foster growth and diversity
- Previous startup experience
- B.S. degree in Computer Science or work experience in a related field
- Proficiency in Ruby, Python or Golang
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we leverage the latest technology
- Hands-on coaching and professional development
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement – a true meritocracy
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Flexible PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.